Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Oakland

Cool Ethernet Speed Crashes via DynadockU3

Hi All

New to the forum so don't beat up if in the wrong place!

I have a Toshiba laptop and a Toshiba Dynadock U3 with Display Link.

If I connect the Ethernet cable to the PC direct then I get normal internet speed for my area as repeat tested via Ookla's speedtest via a browser.

However, when I hook up the Dynadock the internet speed crashes through the floor and sometimes comes to a halt. manifestations include stuttered internet radio, very slow web browsing etc.

Unfortunately, we are in a rural area so crashing through the floor reduces form a typical 6-7Mb to next to nothing!

I have de-installed the Display Link software, downloaded the latest and re-installed.

The interesting thing is that I can attach the Ethernet cable to directly to the PC and just use the Dynadock as the display pass through and the impact is exactly the same.

Has anyone experienced this before and if so is there a fix or any tips?

Cheers

John
Oakland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hey John and welcome,

We don't tend to beat people up, so you're safe.

I'd need to know a bit more about the setup to understand the Ethernet speed through the Dynadock.

However, our software doesn't manage the network. So I don't see why you have a network speed difference on the laptop Ethernet when you connect the dock only for the display: we only add a network card.

Do have other symptoms? Is it a general performance going down or just the Ethernet speed?
Which Windows version and DisplayLink driver or build are you using?

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
Oakland

Thumbs up

Hi arampon

Cool reply! Appreciated. I didn't give too much information as a first stab as it may have just switched people off!

I can provide all sorts of detailed data and happy to be driven by you if need be and feel you can spare the time. Hope you can!

In simple terms, it's a Toshiba Laptop (Satellite) with Windows 10 installed; up to date with with Windows patches, versions and the latest patched BIOS that Toshiba issued. So all cool there.

Frankly our speed in a rural UK area is desperate and we are at the end of a fibre upgrade program in about 15 months.

So 'what we have is what we have' and typically we can get about 5-7Mb via wired copper cable broadband to our linked router (if the wind is in the right direction)!

That speed manifests itself through our internal ethernet network to all PC's consistently; and also via WiFi consistently. Proven and repeat tested.

If the Toshiba laptop is hooked up independently to the ethernet and runs as a standalone laptop that speed is also consistently monitored and tested.

The moment the laptop is hooked up to the DynaDock the speed crashes.

The hook up can be in two ways:

1 Ethernet cable direct to the laptop and the DynaDock plugged into the PC's USB to provide visuals on a larger screen
2 Ethernet cable into the Dynadock and the DynaDock plugged into the PC's USB to provide visuals on a larger screen

In both cases, the connection to the Dynadock causes the speed to drop. Sometimes to next to nothing.

Now, repetitive testing to find the single point of failure always points to the Dynadock being hooked up to the Toshiba laptop.

However, if I connect the laptop to mobile 4G using the mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot it's a breath of fresh air. 50Mb download speed whether connected or not connected to the Dynadock! (BTW...crazy we can get 4G in our rural area but not a faster speed via copper cable...that's mobile technology maturing faster than land line providers can keep up with. eh!!!)

After all that testing, the problem doesn't point to a Dynadock issue or a cabling issue between the PC and Dynadock via a USB port. The mobile phone WiFi has no impact sending it's data to the PC via WiFi with onward transmission via Dynadock to a screen!

SO...it's a problem explicitly related to, and isolated to, the Dynadock and the Toshiba laptop when connected via an ethernet cable!

At face value a configuration issue or hand off issue between the two units but only in ethernet connected mode.

To try and fix I de-intsalled and loaded the latest DisplayLink software hoping that would clear the problem but it didn't.

I feel it may be either a Windows configuration setting or a Toshiba setting that's causing the issue. There are many potential culprits. Can I track it???? Nope! Hence the posting!

Do I feel it's a Dynadock/DisplayLink software bug? No I'm pretty sure it isn't but until the problem is analysed then I can't rule it out as I don't fully understand what DisplayLink internals do.

Now, if it's occurring to me and I can't analyse and fix it's reasonable to assume it's occurring to others. Both products are in mass circulation worldwide.

Some people may not even be aware of a problem if they have great internet connections; as even half a great connection will blow most peoples usage and they won't even know.

Net Net. I feel there has to be something I can switch on or off in the laptop or the DisplayLink software.

Finding that will give a great DisplayLink knowledge base article that I'm sure others will utilise.

End of long story...and feel free to drop the help if it's already blown your head into pieces. Two people in the world screaming is one too many!

Be good.

Regards

John
Oakland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
AlbanRampon

Hey John,

That's indeed quite strange. Would you be able to attach the zip file of your log generated with the guide in my post signature?
Please take them when the issue is present.

It will tell me how the network is configured.
Plugging the docking station without any Ethernet cable in it should have no impact as Windows shouldn't try a network card with medium disconnected.
DisplayLink Manager (the resident software and Windows service) are only for the graphics part and don't need to fiddle with network parameters.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote