Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
jsjohnson

Default System Freeze upon Plugging in USB Cable

Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude 7490 notebook (without optional Thunderbolt) running Windows 10 1903 and I'm trying to connect a Targus DOCK180USZ (DL-6950). I've used DisplayLink-based docking stations before and they're normally pretty easy to work with.

Upon plugging in the dock's USB-C cable, the docking station seems to be working for a few seconds, then the system freezes completely. Typically within 5 seconds, but it may be more or less, up to about a minute. A Blue Screen of Death usually appears with a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR stop code, but the "collecting some error info" progress doesn't climb above 0% for as long as I've been willing to wait, so I haven't been able to collect a memory dump. (I can try leaving the BSoD overnight to see if it'll eventually generate a dump file.)

I've tried multiple DisplayLink driver versions (9.1M0, 9.1M2, and 9.2M0), as well as no DisplayLink driver at all. I've connected the docking station with different monitor configurations and cable types. I've checked to make sure I'm running the latest driver for the laptop's USB, Intel's latest driver for the Intel UHD 620 graphics, and the latest BIOS version. I've tried toggling every USB and power setting in BIOS. I've tried powering the notebook via a separate AC adapter instead of via USB-C. None of these seem to have any effect on whether or not the system crashes or what the stop code is.

I tried an HP USB-C to USB-A adapter I found laying around so I could see if something about the USB-C port might be causing an issue, but the system didn't seem to recognize that the docking station was attached. I've got a different adapter on order in case it was something about that particular adapter.

I tried another docking station with this laptop -- a Dell WD15 (non-DisplayLink, DP alt mode) -- and it worked. I also tried the Targus docking station with a different model computer (Dell XPS 13 9360) and that worked, too.

Do I just have a problematic combination of laptop and docking station models? Any suggestions that might help me get it working?

I've tried contacting Targus support, but thus far have only gotten suggestions to try a newer DisplayLink driver.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
jsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Thank you for all the details, that's most helpful.

A BSoD requires a kernel mode failure. A user mode only driver like DisplayLink now is on Windows 10 technically cannot be the root cause of the blue screen crash.
It means you can stop trying updating DisplayLink drivers up and down.

The WHEA is quite a serious and is usually reported on laptops with hardware problem.
However, you could have something else on the machine, with a kernel mode component, misbehaving.

Do you have some kind of hardware filtering endpoint protection software on the laptop?
Some of these security applications put themselves between system calls, and if they add a bit too much delay or don't answer how the system expects, it will fall over.
We had such experience in the past and the software was amended.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
jsjohnson

Thanks for the reply, Alban.

The only endpoint protection on the computer is Windows Defender. It's a fresh OS installation, so there's practically nothing but Windows and device drivers.

All of Dell's hardware diagnostics pass and I've seen no other instability except when attaching the Targus docking station. As much as I'd like to figure out what the root of the problem is, I think I'll just use the Dell WD15 docking station for this machine.

Thanks again for your feedback. (And a separate personal thank-you for helping me figure out the macOS 10.13.4 debacle last year!)
jsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote