View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post
Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice as to how to set this up. I built a small intel NUC to use as a DC powered computer on a boat. Windows 10 is installed and updated, I'm running the Displaylink 9 Beta software.

Everything works fine so long as I have two monitors plugged in (HDMI and USB). Using the windows display settings I can mirror, extend , display on 1 and 2 only, and make 2 my primary display.

The problem is when I start up without the HDMI monitor connected. It seems that regardless of what I have set prior to shutdown, it automatically starts up in extended mode with the USB screen as screen 2. The end result is that any apps you run don't display anywhere but the taskbar.

I've even tried starting with an HDMI cable connected to the NUC with no monitor connected and it does the same thing.

What can I do to fix this so the USB screen will be the only one and everything displays on it?
While I cannot be sure, it sounds like Windows is still recognizing the HDMI output built-in to the NUC as a potential display output (even though nothing is connected) and is registering it as a 'phantom' display.

These types of problems can be tricky to workaround, as each specific piece of hardware can behave differently.

While I cannot guarantee a result, you may want to try using a HDMI dongle that emulates a display's presence such as the Fit-Headless -> http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-headless/ to simulate a HDMI connected display, and then mark the simulated display as 'Disconnected' within Window's Display Setting application. This may provide the workaround you are looking for.

Again, no guarantees that this will work but I wanted to make mention nonetheless. I have no affiliation with the Fit-Headless manufacturer.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote