View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 12:47 AM   #3
egandt

Default Been able to install drivers, but then I loss X

I've tried three times my laptop have Intel/Nvidia I have the latest 390 version driver installed and working. great using sddm and KDE.
However as soon as i finish installing the Displaylink 4.2 driver (which installs cleanly), and reboot, X no longer works. Well the system thinks it started, but there is no display present, this is without even plugging in the USB monitor. Even switching to runlevel 3 and then trying to start X reports no errors, but again does not actually display anything, just thinks that X is started and running.

The first time I was forced to reinstall Ubuntu 18.04, the second time I figured out that uninstalling the DisplayLink driver and rebooting repaired X. So it is definitely something to do with DisplayLink regardless of plugging in the monitor, I'm just at a loss to explain what, as it is not as if X fails to start it just fails to actually display anything (it is as if it is on a virtual monitor, but even that does not seem correct).

Ideas?
ERIC

EDIT: Got it working finally, needed the displayLink monitor plugged in when I rebooted.

Last edited by egandt; 05-10-2018 at 09:59 PM.
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote