View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 06:35 PM   #5
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJohn View Post
Ok, what you are describing is exactly the conclusion that I came to. I need to get the Samsung 34" off the laptop and onto the dock. In my haste however I picked up a 4k HDMI extension for the Samsung 34", leaving the smaller monitor connected as it is currently. I may reconsider this by doing your suggested switch-a-roo.

I also found the Plugable post describing the a/b switch. My only concern with that is the Surface dock is USB-C, and I believe the FAQ on that page informs that the USB-C is not supported.

I submitted a comment on that post asking about it. If you know anything, let me know.

Thanks!

Wayne

The Plugable USB 3.0 Sharing Switch comes with two USB Type-A to USB Type-B cables. The USB Type-B end of the cable connects to the USB switch. The USB Type-A end of the cable connects to the host computer.

My impression based on your description is that the 'Surface Dock' you are using is the 'Surface Dock 2' unit --> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/surface-dock-2/8qd908364sg2?activetab=pivotverviewtab Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Presuming for the moment that my understanding is indeed correct, the Surface Dock 2 unit has two USB Type-A ports available. Those ports would allow for a connection point from the USB Sharing Switch.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote