View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
downhiller

Default Dell XPS 15 7590 - what's the best way to have 4 screens total (including its own)?

The laptop is a 1920x1080 model, and I want to connect three external 1920x1200 monitors.

At the moment I have two of them running through a WD19TB dock (though they run just fine from USB-C on the laptop without using the dock, I just like the idea of having only one cable going to the laptop, for screens and power).

I think this is the most suitable product I've found:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OPI0XS2/

"StarTech.com USB 3.0 to DisplayPort Adapter 4K Ultra HD, DisplayLink Certified, Video Converter w/ External Graphics Card - Mac & Windows (USB32DP4K)"

Can anyone here answer these questions for me:

1) is this the best way to do what I want using that in addition to my existing dock? Or should I replace both items with one thing that does it all - if so, what? Or is there a more performant product to do what this one does? I want to minimise lag.

2) if that product is suitable, will I be able to connect that to the dock, rather than the laptop? I think that should be fine.

3) how much lag should I expect? Will it annoy the hell out of me when using that screen? I don't game - just software developement (phpstorm, putty, browsers, youtube).

4) anything else I should know?

THANK YOU!
downhiller is offline   Reply With Quote