View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
pimjoosten

Default Does no message "Please wait..." mean no firmware update?

Last weekend I bought an Asus MB168B USB monitor. I already have an Asus MB168B+ USB monitor and a StarTech USB32HDDVII DisplayLink adapter, which I have been using for more than a year and more than 2 years respectively. With the latter two adapters I am used to getting a message "Please wait while your [...] device is being updated. Do not unplug the USB or power cables from your device." every time I update the DisplayLink software. However, I never get that message with the new MB168B, which worries me. I know the DisplayLink software also updates the firmware of the chip inside the USB graphics adapter/monitor and I assume that is what happens when I get this message (but maybe I am wrong).

I have extensively tested this by triggering updates. I went back to an older DisplayLink version by uninstalling the current version and after a reboot installing the older version 7.4 M4. On both the MB168B+ and the StarTech adapter, as expected, I then see the "Please wait..." message. Then every time I update to a newer version (going to 7.5 M0, then to 7.5 M1 and the current version 7.7 M4), I always get this message. With the MB168B however, I never get the message. With 7.4 M4 I get a message saying "Your drivers are not compatible with your MB168B device." and the monitor does not work. Both the StarTech adapter and the MB168B+ do work with this version. Starting with 7.5 M0 the MB168B does work, but the "Please wait..." is never displayed.

What I am worried about is that the firmware on my new MB168B is not updated as it should, and that I might get stuck in the future if a new software version is rolled out that needs a new firmware version, but the MB168B does not install it. I have tried to find the firmware version somewhere to check my assumption, but am unable to find it.

I just ran the support tool and have attached the output. Note that I have done this on Vista Ultimate 64-bit, but I also tested it with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on the same machine with the same results: no "Please wait..." message.

I hope you can shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,

Pim Joosten
Attached Files
File Type: zip ANTRIAVISTAPC_20150504_133021.zip (825.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by pimjoosten; 05-04-2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Clarification added
pimjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote