View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #21
johnnewmun

Alban - You can make excuses until the cows come home, but Mag is 100% accurate. I have spent far too many hours troubleshooting this problem thinking it was something other than DisplayLink, including having a Dell tech come out and go through my computer. As soon as I disconnect my mouse and monitors from the device that houses your DisplayLink chip, the problem completely goes away. I've done everything your troubleshooting says from disabling the Intel Thermal Framework and everything else you're trying to point a finger at, but in the end it is a DisplayLink problem, and it's as simple as that.

The problem is 100% related to both the new DisplayLink driver and Windows 10 Anniversary, and frankly it's driving me insane. I get a stutter/lag every few minutes for probably about a second, which NEVER happened before Windows 10 AU or before the last DisplayLink driver update. PLEASE get this fixed as soon as possible. It has to be one of the most irritating issues I have ever dealt with, having to constantly deal with a stutter/lag. For heaven's sake, it's not a coincidence that there are 10 people on this thread using different devices with the DisplayLink chip all having the same problem. Stop making excuses and fix the stupid problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag View Post
AlbanRampon: so I've done some more tests:

First as I tried to keep the drivers installation as clean as possible I always uninstalled drivers the following way:
- In Device Manager: uninstalled the display and ethernet adapters and sound controller from the dock device with the option "Delete the driver software for this device"
- In Device Manager: uninstalled the external keyboard and mouse as well
- disconnected the dock
- for the standalone driver packages (either from Your or Dell website) I also uninstalled the software from Programs and Features
- restarted
- run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner
- restarted

From this state, I tested the following 3 driver packages, one by one (each one always from this "clean" state):
1. 7.9 M7 from Dell (Dock_DL_Win_A00_Setup-47MTD_ZPE.exe) with Windows Update drivers blocked
2. 8.0 M1 from Your website (DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows 8.0 M1.exe) with Windows Update drivers blocked
3. 8.0 M0 (most likely) from Windows Update (installed by just connecting the dock and waiting for the drivers to install from Windows Update automatically

Both those 8.0 drivers did behave identically regarding the lag so I won't mention them separately in the following text.

1. Replace display mode (Show only on 2):
- 7.9 M7: no lag
- 8.0: lag

2. Extend display mode:
- 8.0: no lag (the only case when the 8.0 drivers didn't exhibit that lag)

3. In Replace display mode, disconnect & reconnect the dock at runtime:

4. In Replace display mode, disconnect mouse from dock & connect it directly to the laptop USB port:

5. In Replace display mode, use the laptop builtin touchpad instead of the USB mouse:

All these tests were performed after a full system restart, no sleep & resume, no user applications were running, I just logged in and moved the mouse and watched what happens.

Dock was always connected via the USB 3.0 connection - always the same USB port.

All devices are wired, no wireless mouse or anything like that.

Last edited by johnnewmun; 08-19-2016 at 11:11 PM.
johnnewmun is offline   Reply With Quote