View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
LuigiL

Want to add an interesting finding.

I used the notebook with lid down, hooked into Dell D6000 connected to the two external screens.

The other day, for fun, I decided to try a 3 monitor configuration by opening the lid and having the notebook LCD screen be the 3rd screen.

Surprise, I started to feel the notebook less "sluggish" ... it felt snappier. and the GPU indicator in task manager looked less loaded too.

Eventually got annoyed by the set-up, so tried to keep lid open but disable screen extension. At first performances stayed the same. But eventually they degraded again.

Today I discovered overnight Windows had restarted, so thought of reactivating the 3rd screen to see ... and again a sense of performance improvement.

Is it possible that the onboard GPU is contributing to performance of the overall system, also the screen drawn by displaylink ?

Perhaps Windows does need a "true-GPU" driven screen to be active ? (note, the primary screen is always a displaylink connected one.)

Other thoughts ? I'm keeping the 3rd screen on for now, but would be better to be able to close the lid.