View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
aaronpriest

Default Can't get any DisplayLink products I've tried to work with three laptops, any ideas?

I have three HP ProBook 3410s laptops (WinXP Pro SP3, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330, latest BIOS and drivers, Catalyst Control Center uninstalled), four IOGear GUC2015V VGA adapters, and one EVGA UV16 DVI adapter. No combination of any driver from IOGear, EVGA, or DisplayLink’s own website, from version 4.2 to 5.2 on ANY of the adapters on ANY of the laptops will work. Absolute total failure every time with any combination of hardware/software. I finally got the EVGA DVI adapter to work on a Dell workstation with a similar ATI video card without spontaneous reboots, but even the IOGear ones will not work on the Dell workstations. Sometimes the laptops will get stuck in a reboot sequence (without asking and without notification, before the user even logs in!) making it difficult to recover from since you can’t uninstall the software in safe mode (MSI installers won’t let you) and you only have about 30 seconds to make your way into add/remove program and start uninstalling before it spontaneously reboots. On other occasions the laptops will blue screen on every boot until you remove the swap file by booting off a CD or thumbdrive to access the hard drive. But once the swapfile is put back in place, the blue screens start again. The only resolution I’ve found for that dilemma is a total reload. I never have blue screens on these laptops until this driver is installed though. I’ve probably reloaded these laptops 12 times trying to get to the bottom of this. No consumer product should be this difficult!

At the moment I have two laptops where the 5.2 driver seems to be installed stably. No automatic reboots, no blue screens. Windows device manager lists EVGA UV Plus+ under USB Display Adapters. However, on every boot, Windows says it must reboot again for hardware changes to take effect and it then will list another unknown device under display adapters with an exclamation point. I have about 18 of them listed there now, one for every time I’ve rebooted. I’ve attempted to force windows to use a specific driver, but there is no .inf file to use with this single .msi driver file that I can find.

I’m about ready to give up on all DisplayLink products. Surely not everyone has this much trouble getting ONE to work?! HP and IOGear support has been clueless and have not been able to resolve this even after escalating it three times over the past month. I’m hoping someone here has some insight? Maybe it’s just not compatible with the ATI driver that HP is using, maybe XP SP3 is just not supported, who knows? Any ideas? I’m fresh out of ‘em…