View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #7
mogul

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuffe View Post
No - clamshell mode still does not work for me (MacOSX10.6.6/DL1.6b3)

I still have to open the lid of my macbook every morning - I too would like a more smooth docking process - especially for a product that claims to be a "docking" solution...
I'd come to that conclusion myself, and found explicit note of it in the release notes for a version or two back of the drivers. What a drag, that nearly scuttled my whole plan.

But! I was going to add a KVMP into the mix, and since I did that the situation has changed to where I am happy with the result...

* I have a dual-DVI KVMP with USB 2.0 (IOGear GCS1642)
* I attached the two DVI monitors to it.
* I take the KVMP's output DVI/USB/audio cables, and plug them straight to my Macbook.
* (And here's where it gets craaaaazy...) I plug the output of the second DVI cable into a DisplayLink adapter, then plug the DisplayLink adapter into the USB 2.0 peripheral port on the KVMP!

So now to dock:
* I connect power to my Macbook.
* I plug the second DisplayPort and USB from the KVM straight into my Macbook.

Et voila... Macbook runs clamshell, as it would without the KVMP at all, driving two DVI monitors. Both DVI monitors are still available to three other PCs on the KVMP as regular DVI connections.

I have two DVI monitors available to the Macbook with the lid closed. The universe did not explode. Good enough, mission accomplished, I'll stop here.