View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
chashock

Martin:

First, thanks for the response. I truly appreciate it!

Yours is the $64K question, as I noticed today some more details to the behavior.

I had some other issues, so I decided to bite the bullet and do a fresh install of Win7, hoping that would take care of the DisplayLink issues as well. Unfortunately, it didn't. The adapters were recognized properly, the 5.2 driver installed, and for about 20 minutes both displays on the eVGA devices worked great. Then one just went dark. The system thinks its still there, but it shows nothing. CPU utilization spiked to 100%.

I was installing some other software when this happened, so I when I opened Task Manager, I expected to see the DisplayLink software chugging through cycles and the install to be eating everything else (the system was at about 20% utilization before the display went dark). What surprised me was that it's the System Idle Process eating 80%-85% of the CPU, and the DisplayLink UI is idle. The software install was still eating 15%-20%, but now the System Idle is through the roof, and overall CPU utilization is pegged (bear in mind I'm watching processes from all users and I'm the only user logged in). About 10 minutes after the first display went dark, the second did the same thing.

I disconnected both of my eVGA adapters and reconnected them with no change.

It looks like some kind of resource isn't getting returned properly, and even though the system thinks it's a system idle process, it's consuming cycles somehow.

If there's some kind of log I can get you, or other info that would be helpful, let me know. I've gotten used to 4 displays when I'm troubleshooting remote server issues, and not having these work stinks. I love this product, so whatever I can do to help troubleshoot it let me know.

Thanks!