View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
Qvazar

Thumbs down Confirming

Confirming this.
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update drivers are causing CPU usage to spike when anything "real-time" happens on the connected USB monitor.

My original setup was a Dell XPS 15 Laptop connected to a Dell D3100 USB docking station with two HDMI monitors attached.
Before the Windows Anniversary Update I could play Guild Wars 2 at 40FPS on one USB monitor while playing Twitch/YouTube content on the other USB monitor. Everything was working smoothly.
After the update, games are unplayable on any USB-attached monitor.
I've resorted to attaching one monitor directly to the laptop with HDMI and playing games on that, but if any rendering happens on the USB-attached monitor, game performance drastically drops. If I play a video on the USB-monitor while playing on the HDMI-monitor, game FPS drops to 20% of before. 40 FPS becomes 10 FPS!

My girlfriend is using a Surface Pro 4 with this same dock and is suffering the same problems; but obviously she cannot connect one of the monitors directly through HDMI, so any continuous rendering on the monitors causes heavy CPU-load and lag and any CPU-heavy load causes the monitors to lag greatly, i.e. when playing Flash games.

I understand that the Windows Anniversary Update forces this new driver model, but this performance decrease is completely unacceptable. You and Microsoft needs to work together to fix this.

I have all Windows, Dell and NVidia drivers up to date.