View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 12:11 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deker0 View Post
Hi all,

Glad to be a part of this forum. This is my first post on here and I'm still learning as I go along.

Here is my current setup:

Macbook Pro 2019 with 4 thunderbolt ports

Three Dell monitors - two have DisplayPort and one is much older that supports DVI/VGA.

I also have a Belkin dock - it has one DisplayPort input and one input that looks like USB-C. One Dell monitor is connected to the DisplayPort and the other monitor connects using a custom cable USB-C (?) to DisplayPort. There is one USB-C output that goes into the Mac's thunderbolt.

What I'd like to do is add the older Dell monitor into the mix. I managed to grab a DVI to USB-C cable, so the DVI plugs into the monitor and the USB-C into one of my thunderbolt ports. Obviously, it didn't work, which is why I'm here.

Spoke to Apple support, they of course insisted it's not possible, since the MBP 2019 can only handle 2 external monitors.

I'm hoping someone here can help me out and assist me in getting that third monitor added into my set. Thanks so much, I really appreciate the help.
Based on your description I have a few quick questions for you:

1. My impression based on your description is that you are using a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) model laptop --> https://support.apple.com/kb/SP795?locale=en_US

Can you please confirm if my impression is correct?

2. Can you please provide the specific model number (or a direct web link to) of the Belkin docking station you are using?

3. You mention you have three Dell monitors. Can you please provide the specific model numbers of each Dell monitor?

For example, 'U2415' or 'U2421M'.

If you are unsure which specific models you are using, this information is typically printed on a label on the back of the monitor. In addition, almost all Dell monitors will display their model number when you access their internal on-screen menu system.

I ask because I would like to be sure I understand precisely which products are in use, prior to making a recommendation.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote