View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
wonderose

Default Stubborn cursor when lid closed

My setup: Lenovo Helix, Windows 8, a Toshiba Dynadock USB 3.0 and one external monitor (Acer S243HL).

Every time I close the lid of my laptop, the external display shows my cursor stuck at the very same position on the screen, with a context menu about to be open (in form of a quadrangle) or already open (with all the menu points I don’t want to choose from).

To free my stubborn cursor, which won’t move from the center right of my Acer monitor, I reopen the lid, and indeed, it is gone quite easily. But if I shut the lid again, it reappears on the dot. It’s a nice game to play, and in the end, after a few moments of despair, I always win, having reconquered my cursor and made the quadrangle (or the context menu) disappear.

Yet, in the course of time, my despair grew ever deeper, and on expert counsel, I replaced the Dynadock (and DisplayLink’s software) with a standard HDMI cable. My problems are now gone. No quadrangle, no unwanted context menu. And I am relieved.

But if this problem is going to be fixed sometime in the future, I will certainly be glad to reinstall DisplayLink.

PS: I forgot to add that without DisplayLink manager the CPU usage is down by 5 to 20 % (depending on monitor activity), which in turn has a positive effect on the fan noise.

PPS: Before giving up on DisplayLink and reverting to a simple HDMI cable, I had installed the very newest version of the software (7.4.51587.0 and 7.2.8000.17).
wonderose is offline   Reply With Quote