View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 04:08 AM   #4
paco_charte

Default I have a very similar issue

In my case, I recently traded in an HP Envy with Windows 7 for a machine with Windows 8.1 at Costco because it was the same price with a backlit keyboard.

Well, I've done the install routine numerous times for the Targus docking station and I know what I'm doing. But in Windows 8 after I install the DisplayLink software, I can see the DisplayLinkManager and the DisplayLinkUserAgent processes running in Task Manager, but there is no icon in the system tray at all (as there was with Windows 7) and I have no way of actually opening the popup GUI and making any changes.

This was only noticed because my external monitor will not work now (since plugging the Windows 8.1 machine into the dock) and when I go to Device Manager, the Targus/DisplayLink system only shows up as "Generic Super Speed USB Hub".

Additionally, Windows does not detect the external speakers plugged into the dock/hub.

Everything but external audio and video seems to be working (mouse, kb).

A further issues is that the firmware updater from Targus apparently can't make contact with the device and the firmware update fails.

This is very bizarre and it seems like it's probably a software problem.

Other info: I've tried the most recent v7.7 Mk3 from a fresh install, then I uninstalled it, used the cleaning tool and tried v7.6 from the Targus website (may just link to DisplayLink), but neither works. Again, Windows views the USB driver as "Generic Super Speed USB Hub" and I have lost functionality of my external monitor (both via HDMI and DVI) and speakers when running them through the hub. Have replaced the DVI cable as well as the HDMI cable and no go.

Last edited by paco_charte; 01-06-2015 at 04:20 AM.
paco_charte is offline   Reply With Quote