View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #38
oracle3001

Default OpenGL Incorrect Version Problem

I have a Dell XPS laptop with Nvidia 960M which runs OpenGL 4.4 on Windows 10 Home (Build 14393.693). I connect to a larger monitor via the Dell D3100 docking station.

Recently I have noticed some OpenGL applications which I have coded in the past (and worked fine) have started to not work properly when I have try and run them when attached to the larger monitor via the dock. I am certain this wasn't the case until recently and have replicated these issues with demo OpenGL apps from trusted sources.

Upon closer examination I have found that if I have the screen set to "display only on 2nd display" i.e. large monitor on / laptop screen off (which is how I normally run my setup when in the office), the OpenGL version registered as running is as follows:

Running on a GDI Generic from Microsoft Corporation
OpenGL version 1.1.0 is supported

However if I try and run with only my laptop screen or the screen set to "extend" i.e. both large monitor and laptop screen on, I get the following:

Running on a Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 from Intel
OpenGL version 4.4.0 - Build 20.19.15.4474 is supported

Note:- Due to the strange way the Dell XPS display system is built, you can't turn off Intel Graphics / enforce the nVidia driver at all times, the system decides as and when which to use..

Clearly something is wrong here as OpenGL 4.4 is installed on the system, but when I have display on 2nd screen only it seems to pick some weird generic driver.
oracle3001 is offline   Reply With Quote