View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
rdinsf

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

I suppose as a non-tech person I assume that when a product is sold and advertised with certain functions, that operating system changes are anticipated in advance such that there is no a loss of functionality when the OS upgrades. I understand that accomplishing that may not be as easy as I think.

But, there is a problem in that this lack of functionality has not reached the support people at the vendors - for example ASUS. So instead of telling me that there is a (hopefully) temporary loss of the ability to adjust brightness and auto-rotate, they have me go through the uninstall/reinstall rigmarole, then tell me there is a problem with my hardware and I should contact my hardware vendor. I spent considerable time following their instructions and trying things on my own - time which I wouldn't have spent if they simply told me there was a problem and the functionality was not working.

And meanwhile ASUS, Amazon, and others continue to advertise the product as having functionality that it does not have.

So while I appreciate your transparency here - people are buying products assuming they do things that they don't, and there is zero communication to current owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Good afternoon,

I've merged the two latest threads on the same subject.

The transparency from my colleague should not be taken as being casual about it.
We simply don't believe in empty promises. If he had given you a date, then that would have been just that... a date.

We are currently working on another solution in the meantime which would also be helpful for users of these USB monitor product lines from AOC and Asus on Mac, the possibility to use Screenbright or any other standard DDC/CI application to control these USB monitors. (So it means you won't require DisplayLink UI for this)
The development has been very promising, is in progress, but is not yet finished so I am unable to commit to it for release 8.1 currently.
Restoring the use of the hardware buttons for Windows 10 Anniversary Update and beyond is still planned, but using the Windows USB driver means we have had to do everything again from the ground up and we did not really have much choice here. The new driver architecture, despite looking worse for you today, is a good thing as it shows commitment from Microsoft to support DisplayLink USB graphics in the long term as it's now part of the OS, making future updates of the OS or primary graphics card drivers seamless.
I've decided to go ahead and prioritise the DDC/CI version before because I know it means you will be able to modify brightness quicker.

Kind regards,
Alban
rdinsf is offline   Reply With Quote