View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #436
Sofla David

Yup, I'm good to go! I ran the 10.13.0 upgrade you posted, and then downloaded and ran the 10.13.3 combo update. Everything ran seamlessly and I am now at 10.13.3 with updates turned off. I'm perfectly satisfied for now sitting at 10.13.3. I can't really think of anything in the later High Sierra versions, or even in Mohave (except maybe Dark Mode), that I would really miss. I'm sure there are security updates that could be an issue, but It's a calculated risk I'm willing to take for now to be able to use my current monitor.

I have a feeling Displaylink as we knew it will never be the same. Apple is not going to change their OS to allow it to work again, and without an apple code change, DisplayLink will not be able to make it work the way it did before.

I do alot of traveling for work, and the second monitor is almost a necessity for what I do. I've already started looking for a portable HDMI capable monitor that fits my needs and will eventually have to go that route, but for now, I can use this ASUS 169B+ for a little bit longer without having to deal with the Airplay limitations and intermittent problems.

Meanwhile, if anyone knows of a portable monitor with the following specs, please post the link:
-HDMI mini DisplayPort, or thunderbolt input
-15 to 16 inches diagonal
-small/thin enough to fit in a backpack along with my MacBook Pro and other items
-works on either 110 AND 220 volts (I often travel internationally and don't want to rely on a step down transformer)
-must be reliable and sturdy enough to survive my travels.

Last edited by Sofla David; 07-23-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Sofla David is offline   Reply With Quote