View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
Gr3ghammett

Cool Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanbli View Post
Can someone please help me. I'm NOT a linux user and I find this OS VERY FRUSTRATING!!!
I tried to double click on the Displaylink driver file, it ran and then stopped after about 15 minutes. I tried to run it in terminal, but I get "Command Not Found"
here's the terminal results:
sudo ./displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34.run
sudo: ./displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34.run: command not found
Why is everything in this OS so damned difficult? Does MS own double click and a software gets installed? Jeeez
It sounds like your issue may be that you are not in the location to where the driver file is saved. I'm assuming you downloaded it and didn't move it. You will need to go to where your browser downloads files (usually it's /home/Downloads unless you changed it within the browser).

Note below when I give commands, I type them in " marks, but you shouldn't use them. I only use them to help separate where the command begins and ends here.

The terminal defaults to your home folder when you first open it up. My recommendation would be to use the command "ls" (stands for "list". it lists all the items in the folder that you are. This is the equivalent of doing "dir" in MS-DOS/Windows Command prompt).

Move to the Downloads folder by typing "cd Downloads" (you can also type "cd Dow" and hit TAB to have it auto complete (something I use often).

Do "ls" again to validate that the driver file is in the same folder you are in. If it's there try the run command again "sudo ./displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34.run" and it should work.

If you get the same error as above about evdi, the 2nd comment fixed my issue with the command "sudo apt-get install libc6-dev"

So in short:
1) "ls" to validate you're in the /home/ directory
2) "cd Desktop" to move to the /home/Desktop/ folder (where the .run file should be)
3) "ls" to validate the driver file is in there.
4) "sudo ./displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34.run"
5) if you get the evdi error, do "sudo apt-get install libc6-dev"

I have been using Linux Distros for over 13 years. It definitely is an adjustment, but Linux MInt is actually pretty good and the closest I've seen to Windows. It takes a bit to get used to the nuances but I still prefer it (especially since you dont stuck with apps you can't remove like I.E. or Microsoft Edge ). If you have any questions, DM me here and I'm more than happy to help you with whatever questions you may have!

Last edited by Gr3ghammett; 08-29-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Gr3ghammett is offline   Reply With Quote