View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
qp6019352

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintfrenz View Post
1. The desktop looks awful with the colors all washed out. Is there any way to set the color coding to YCbCr (instead of RGB which I think is what is being used currently)?
There are two kinds of RGB:

1. RGB Full Range (0-255)
2. RGB Limited Range (16-235)

It sounds like your DisplayLink adapter outputs RGB Limited Range, whereas your TV expects to receive RGB Full Range, which makes black look more like gray and makes everything look washed out (the other way around it would clip black detail and make colors look crushed).

Just tell your TV that it receives RGB Limited Range. Most TVs allow to do this.

On Samsung TVs, the option is usually called "HDMI Black Level", which can be set to "Low" or "Normal".

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
That adapter does NOT do ANY colour correction today. This means it displays what it gets. I advise you change the TV settings so colours are displayed properly. Other settings on the adapter were decided by the manufacturer and are not changeable.
If AlbanRampon is correct in what he says and your DisplayLink adapter indeed is outputting Limited Range RGB, then it is probably caused by the graphics driver of the PC.

The Intel graphics driver allows to adjust it as well, it's explained over there for example:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...l-0-255-a.html

That being said: I wonder if the graphics driver really could influence what kind or RGB range the DisplayLink adapter is outputting at.

Maybe AlbanRampon can shed some light on this.

Last edited by qp6019352; 01-20-2018 at 12:53 PM.
qp6019352 is offline   Reply With Quote