View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #14
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultzirides View Post
Carlo, what about power? As I understand it, the USB-C port will allow power into the laptop while data flows in/out. I was hoping for DL dock > Apple Multi-port adapter > 12" MacBook. The issues are that I will need to use the laptop for many hours while "docked", and I need to make sure that I don't run out of juice halfway through. Additionally, the locations in which I use the DL docks both require a wired network connection for stability. Currently, I have a DL dock > MacBook Air, which works flawlessly. If the issues are minimal/negligible on the 12" MacBook, then I really won't worry about picking one up if my employer will spring for it.

If the issues will impact work or make using that setup unstable, then it seems like I may need to stick with my MacBook Air until these issues get sorted out, since I really do need the absolute lightest Mac I can get my hands on that is DL-capable (with all the bells and whistles).

Either way, I feel like the DL team has really done a phenomenal job of getting DisplayLink functioning on Macs with close to 100% parity to Windows. Great job.
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your support. Unfortunately there is still much to do to get where we'd like to be. Unfortunately it's not all in our control.

About the type-C I see the problem, I think the best solution would be a USB-C dock with power delivery and DisplayLink. So you can also save the eye-watering cost of the multiport adapter.

The first docks with power and DL over type-C are going to be available this May as far as I know, but I can't recommend any specific brand.

Regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote