View Single Post
Old 12-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #11
helixpt

Solved

Guys, although I wasn't able to find both files as reported in the previous post, I was indeed able to fix the issue. I'm not recommending this solution since it's a nuclear approach, but it worked nonetheless.

It makes total sense to me that should be some file stuck with preferences after attempting to rotate the screen. Something (resolution, window position, wtv, gets recorded in a way after attempting to rotate de DisplayLink controlled display, that makes something in the OS crash. Then you're logged out.

Since I only was able to find 1 of 2 files reported in this topic and was ready to format the machine if fixed, I backed up the complete preferences folder and deleted everything I could (the OS doesn't allow the deletion of only 2 files), and rebooted.

Surprise surprise, the next time I logged in, opened DisplayLink, connected the dongle and it was fixed for good.

Ideally, the next step will be for the DisplayLink team to at least make a script to find those preference files and auto-delete them for all those that encounter this issue go back to a functioning device ASAP, until the driver properly supports rotation on M1 Macs running Big Sur.

Keep up the great work.
helixpt is offline   Reply With Quote