View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
jbrock

Default Thank you Jan or jei for the workaround script.

Hi Jan or jei,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, for this workaround script! I am now able to use my AOC e1659Fwu at 1360x768. Before I could only get 1024x768 to work. I am able to get my TOSHIBA PA3923U-2LC3 to work at this resolution as well. (I am going to return the AOC because it was part of my troubleshooting.) I had tried every combination you can imagine with *.conf files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to get 1366x768 working. I had tried on Xubuntu 18.04 and Debian 10 with no luck and on multiple computers, with both Intel and AMD graphics. The best resolution I could achieve was 1024x768. Otherwise, 1366x768 looked something like the pictures on this thread. I have had the exact same issue on both monitors I currently have in my possession. I am guessing that this is just a bug that Displaylink needs to resolve.

As for the mouse flickering issue, it is very minimal on my system right now. I have an old Acer laptop (2010 model) with Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz, with Intel integrated graphics. I am running Debian 10 with Xfce, vanilla install i.e. default kernel etc. I used the AdnanHodzic script to install on Debian. Here is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory. It has two files, 20-displaylink.conf and 20-evdidevice.conf. Perhaps this can help.

Contents of 20-displaylink.conf :
Section "Device"
Identifier "DisplayLink"
Driver "modesetting"
Option "PageFlip" "false"
EndSection

Contents of 20-evdidevice.conf:
Section "OutputClass"
Identifier "DisplayLink"
MatchDriver "evdi"
Driver "modesetting"
Option "AccelMethod" "none"
EndSection

Update: Just a warning that after running the script and arranging my screens, without thinking much, I decided to "Save" my layout in the Xfce Display application. This for some reason broke X when I rebooted. I also did not even have access to a tty. Fortunately though I fixed it via chroot. (If you want this setup every time, add the script to your autostart items for your desktop environment.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jei View Post
Hi everyone,

when I tried the new evdi release (1.6.2) today I played around with different resolutions and worked out a workaround for the distortion problem.

My solution is to run the USB monitor at a slightly lower resolution than intended by the specification. I use 1360x768 instead of 1366x768. On my device, this does not lead to a blurred image, the screen works just fine then.

I wrote the following shell script to set up the custom resolution (1360x768). Please adjust the variables in ll. 5-7 to match the correct RandR output (run xrandr without any parameters to find it) and the desired resoultion.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Adjust these parameters to your needs.
# These worked for me (AOC E1659Fwu)
OUTPUT="DVI-I-1-1"
HORIZONTAL_RES="1360"
VERTICAL_RES="768"

MODELINE="$(cvt ${HORIZONTAL_RES} ${VERTICAL_RES} | tail -n 1 | awk '{for (i=3; i<=NF; i++) print $i}')"
MODELINE_NAME=$(echo ${MODELINE} | awk '{print $1}' | sed -e 's/^"//' -e 's/"$//')

echo "Modeline:"
echo ${MODELINE_NAME} ${MODELINE}
echo

echo "[*] xrandr --newmode"
xrandr -d :0 --newmode ${MODELINE_NAME} ${MODELINE}

echo "[*] xrandr --addmode (${OUTPUT})"
xrandr -d :0 --addmode "${OUTPUT}" ${MODELINE_NAME}

echo "[*] Set new resolution"
xrandr -d :0 --output "${OUTPUT}" --mode ${MODELINE_NAME}
I'm still interested in any advice to stop my cursor from flickering on non-DisplayLink screens.

— Jan

Last edited by jbrock; 08-15-2019 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Added a followup about an issue
jbrock is offline   Reply With Quote