View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
billrosenblatt

Unhappy Audio problems - Windows 10

Hi,

I have a laptop running Win 10 Pro 64 bit, and a Plugable UD-3000 DisplayLink device, with the analog audio sent to a conventional stereo system. I have constant problems getting audio from the web browser (Google Chrome) to feed to the Plugable device, even though it's set as the default speaker.

For example, I'll be playing streaming Internet radio on TuneIn. Some of the stations will "make it through" to the Plugable and then to the stereo, while others will "give up" and play audio through the laptop's tinny speaker. Some streaming music services, like Amazon Music, make it through, while others, like Spotify web player, won't. And some others like Pandora make it through sometimes.

Sometimes I can get the problem to go away temporarily by one of two techniques: clearing the browser cache or going to Control Panel, Audio, Playback tab, right-clicking on the Plugable Audio device, and choosing Test. Often the first time I do this, nothing happens, the highlight bounces quickly to the laptop's built-in speaker and then back to the Plugable; then I do it a second time and the test works properly (the audio goes through the Plugable to the stereo). After that, the audio *sometimes* flows from the browser through the Plugable device.

Audio from Windows apps like Windows Media Player seems to work fine; the problem is audio through the browser.

I've been back and forth with Plugable about this for a long time, and they end up pointing fingers at Windows 10. It's really getting exasperating.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
billrosenblatt is offline   Reply With Quote