View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
lightfoot256

Unhappy

So; just happened to be booted into windows on the macbook when I first gave the DisplayLink a try and a must say -- very impressed! nice and quick; aero effects, hardly any lag, youtube videos work great at full screen. Full screen video works. Perfect. Well done!

Rebooted into Lion and... erm, well... not so impressive, broken/choppy video, no menubar transparency (terminal transparency seems to work however -- but no Gaussian blur), really really laggy, occasional black flickers, heavy CPU load when moving windows around. Scrolling websites is just about okay; and thankfully very little load when viewing a static screen.

Overall I'm just happy it works; The requirement is a third screen at native resolution for viewing documentation and it does that job okay; so I'm happy from that perspective; The dell multimonitor hub is also capable of driving 3 screens for playing games (albeit at a lower resolution but still nice and immersive) so I've got that covered too (interested if the hub works with a KVM for easy switching but that's for another day)

Also running the device under a hub doesn't seem to affect it -- even on windows; running full screen youtube videos and movies works fine either way. I was hoping for a performance gain by removing the hub or chaning the usb port under lion but no such luck. Just the same.

So final impression; great. thanks for making it work -- but performance gains would be nice! Does the job. But no bells or whistles :-D.

Best regards,
Chris

Last edited by lightfoot256; 01-23-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: changes to issues with transparency
lightfoot256 is offline   Reply With Quote