View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #9
Dan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycenesbitt View Post
To be clear: The Linux Kernel supports the DisplayLink 1x0 and 1x5 series chips, which are to date the most commonly used. These are limited to 16 bit color, but do function well.

DisplayLink has declined to release information on the 3x0 series of chips (the USB3 with Ethernet models).

However, even with basic support built into Linux, getting a multi monitor display is still challenging, as multiple questions on "ask ubuntu" attest:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/6382/...ecent-version/

A little bit of challenge grant money from DisplayLink could turn that around, and make DisplayLink plug and play on most Linux distributions.
We also implement open standards audio and ethernet on our chips, and iPXE now even talks to us to boot from.. I will readily admit that this isn't a whole lot of use if you can't get any pixels to the screen. I also don't think it's a great secret how to get 24bit colour on DL1x0/1x5.

How about this: if mainline linux makes it trivial to use DL1x5 we'll make it trivial to use DL3xx0? (not that I can make the promise myself.. but it would certainly help if that was so).

And yes, of course, if the open source community ponied up the same level of money we get through chip sales to OEMs to support Linux we could do it, although it may be in a less than ideal binary form.

Last edited by Dan; 02-16-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote