View Single Post
Old 08-24-2021, 02:24 PM   #16
Azorian

Smile New Finding To Help You All

For those of you who are still dealing with this issue by using a work around like keeping your laptop display on, you may not have to.

After reading many of these trouble reports, I have noticed a commonality that has led to this outcome for many. Since many of you upgraded from an older install where X11 was default, that was retained during your upgrades to Ubuntu 20.04. A fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 however will enable the use of Wayland instead of X11 directly.

This matters because there is an issue with using DisplayLink in this particular configuration (specifically with X11) as documented here: https://github.com/DisplayLink/evdi/issues/181

I don't know what your display manager configuration is so I can't necessarily tell you how to properly enable Wayland on your system but if you're running Ubuntu 20.04 with Gnome 3 then you can edit "/etc/gdm3/custom.conf" and find the line that sets the "WaylandEnable" setting under the "daemon" section. Change this setting to "true" which should look like "WaylandEnable=true".

Using Wayland seems to get around the issue for me pretty well as I am now able to turn off my laptop display or close the lid without any noticeable performance hit.
Azorian is offline   Reply With Quote