View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Jeff Fitting

Default DynaDock V display freezes - must cycle power on dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmetzinger View Post
Hello, I am an IT admin and I purchased 6 DynaDock Vs from Toshiba that utilize the DisplayLink software. These units are split across two different models of laptops, 5 HP Probooks and a Sony VAIO(my laptop). Since we have purchased the units we have had nothing but problems. The external display will constantly freeze on users and myself after a random time interval and while the most simple things are being performed. The last time I clicked on the start menu and it froze. I have installed the latest drivers for the DynadDock from Toshiba's website and the latest DisplayLink driver from your website, 5.5M1. I have already gotten 6 replacement units from Toshiba just in case and that didn't change anything. Actually the one unit i got out for my laptop seemed liked it locked up even faster than before.

Just some quick specs about our setup:
5 HP Probooks running Windows 7 32bit - 2GB RAM.... i think
1 sony VAIO running Windows 7 64bit - 6GB RAM

Can anyone help me? I have uploaded the error logs from my machine as gathered by the support tool I found on the website.
Hi there!

I am having the exact same experience.

I too am an IT admin who purchased 5 DynaDock V units in December. All are running with new Dell Vostro 3300 laptops also purchased in December. All have the latest video drivers, etc. Intel Core i5, Windows 7 64bit, NVIDIA GeForce 310M adapter. DisplayLink Version is 5.6.29519.0

All five systems have the exact same problems.

After contacting Toshiba about this problem the support tech directed me to the DisplayLink driver page and told me that the 5.6 beta version of driver will fix the problem. I installed it on all machines and the problem remains. I called Toshiba again and they recommended that I return all 5 for replacement. Somehow i think the replacements will be clones of the ones i have so i am not convinced that will fix this problem, especially when there are so many others out there with the same complaint.

I found and ran the DisplayLink support tool on a Dynadock V that recently froze and attached the resulting zip file here.

Anyway, here's a recap of my symptoms: Fresh boot up in the morning. Perhaps once or twice a day the display connected to the Dynadock freezes, making the user think the mouse froze. They click and wiggle the mouse not realizing they are actually clicking on things since everything else about the Dynadock is still working fine (keyboard, mouse and Ethernet.) You can open the laptop lid and see the live desktop so they know the PC is not frozen. Unplug the USB and the frozen display still shows the same image. I have to pull the power plug out of the back of the Dynadock, rebooting it, in order to clear the problem, until the next time.

There doesn't seem to be anything repeatable about it. The users aren't doing any stressful activity at the time. Of course they are stressed immediately afterward!

Cycling power on the Dynadock causes problems when breaking the Ethernet connection to one of our database applications.

I don't think the problem is thermal since it can happen first thing in the morning or anytime in the day. In any case the crash is so bad it required a hard reboot.

I hope we can resolve this problem! Please contact me if you guys need any further testing from me. I anxiously await your reply.

Jeff

update: I forgot to mention the BSOD errors that we have been having too. It could be related. Three of the machines have had one or more BSOD with a STOP 0x00000116 related to the Nvidia driver nvlddmkm.sys. This only happens when the Dynadock is connected but happens less frequently than the display freeze problems. I tried to upload a DisplayLink support tool ZIP file for this other machine but the upload kept failing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20110127_143105.zip (857.2 KB, 1542 views)

Last edited by Jeff Fitting; 01-27-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: New Information - BSOD