View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

Thank you for your fast replies.

I have been doing some more testing recently on a Dual GPU machine. As I assumed the pixel encoding is being done by the Intel GPU while the game renders from nVidia GPU.

Due to the nature of DisplayLink technology, we currently do use some CPU or GPU resource to encode the pixels, this is then sent to the dock to decode and display on screen , while this can be used for gaming, we do not recommend for fast paced action.

I have then changed the encoding for CPU to see if this will help in the overall gaming experience. What have changed to me was the amount of GPU usage on Intel graphic card which allowed me to get a pretty smooth gameplay on a non-gaming laptop. Moreover I checked it in Fullscreen Windowed mode and capped the FPS to maximum of 90 -> it allowed me to play without lags or FPS drops on a pretty weak non-gaming laptop.

Settings used on my testing:

- Full HD resolution 1920x1080 on an external screen
- FPS capped to 90
- External monitor set as a main one (CS:GO on it)
- Extend mode used between laptop and external screen

What I would suggest right now for you is to change the encoding on the docking station with the following guide:

Please perform these actions with CS:GO closed.

1. Open Registry Editor on your Windows
2. Go to: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DisplayLink\C ore
3. Create a string called AlternativeEncoder (simply right click -> New -> String Value)
4. Set the value to false
5. Re-plug your docking station

A re-plug is needed for the changes to take effect. This will force the docking station to use CPU rather then Intel GPU to encode the pixels. As for CS:GO it should be all fine it will not be a good option to use in more demanding games with better graphics but a lower FPS (Dark Souls 3 for example). If you would like to use again GPU encoding, simply change the value to true.

Thank you for checking that and letting me know if that would help you in getting better in-game performance.

Kind regards,
Jakub
JakubDabrowski is offline   Reply With Quote