View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 11:58 PM   #5
rkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Yes, it is USB 2.0. I initially wanted to use the USB plug to backup my phone on a drive, until I realise it was much faster to go through AC WiFi.
But USB 2.0 is not a bottleneck to getting FullHD at 60Hz because our algorithm is adaptative.
Obviously, if you're already maxing out the phone capacity without adding a display (RAM, CPU and GPU), then our algorithm will use what's left...
Unlike most computers, you have a limited power envelope available: no fan means if the phone gets warm, the computing power will be throttled not to burn your pocket.

If you tell me how you wish to use this, I can look deeper. I have 1080p60 displays on my desk (and we have gazillions of monitors in our office).

I would not advise the DL-1x5 for your application because it will never be able to do content protection as there's no hardware block for it, and cannot be field upgraded. It doesn't do audio either.
It works very well otherwise it wouldn't have been selling for years and keep doing so, it is just not "future-proof".

You can look at the table of the DisplayLink DL-3000 series with capability.
The DisplayLink DL-5000 series is an extension of the DL-3000 which can achieve 4K.

The key though is that DisplayLink sells chips! The manufacturer defines what the product does. For instance, you will find products using our DL-1x5 with audio, because an audio chip was added.
That's something we can look at if you have a few products in mind: I am likely to have the specifics of the implementation.

What would you show on the screen? That would give me an idea of what is realistic and test it myself.

Kind regards,
Alban
Thank you Alban for the useful information.
I was looking at this device from Amazon (https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B076SX...7oL&ref=plSrch). It has a DL-3500 chipset which supports 1080p@60 which is perfect for what I need by now.

I'm searching for a small device that I can take with me when I'm traveling, to connect my phone to the TV via HDMI. The main thing I would use it for would be to watch mainly self-encoded (unprotected) videos that are all being hardware decoded by my mobile device (so the CPU usage is really minimal and should not be a problem). Although I would really like to make use of some mobile IDEs and editors like Word, which was never feasible to do on a Chromecast due to the latency, setup hassle and blurriness. Also I'd like to run sporadically some game or emulator (this probably will use more CPU, although the highest impact will be on CPU) though the last one is not really a big requirement.

All my equipment is Bluetooth enabled anyway (keyboard, mouse and even joystick).

Do you think that the DL-3500 would be enough to get the 1080@60 for the 3 use cases I mentioned on an android device?
rkk is offline   Reply With Quote