View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #18
alphadog00

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultanmakende View Post
Yes that was the issue - OS / hardware incompatibility that I suspected would happen.
And indeed, getting the DL to work on the Macpro was only to confirm that it is indeed a video card problem, before I splash out on a replacement.
I will just go through the exact symptoms below to get any opinions if my diagnosis of faulty video card is correct:

1.Press start button and familiar chime
2.Apple logo appears.
3.Rotating progress ring for about a minute or two below apple logo.
4.Progress ring stops, screen flashes and goes totally white, then nothing more.

I have also verified the HD, no problem there, and the above also happens even if i try booting/re-installing from a bootable pendrive installer.

My theory is that the video ram on the video card is burned, but as I said I wanted to eliminate all other possibilities before buying an new card and the DL option was one way of doing so, if I could only get the driver on to the Macpro's boot drive!
I wish the developers at DL would find a way to allow installing the DL driver on to an external boot HD.
Once again, thanks for your input!
Is the mac seen on the network? Can you ping it or see the machine from another mac? If not, then I would say it is more then your video card. From step number 4, I can't tell if it has finished booting or not, but I suspect it has not and you have either corruption on your hard drive or some other hardware failure.

If it were video card, I would expect to see no display at all. Try rebooting in verbose mode and/or single user mode to see what is loading and where it fails.
alphadog00 is offline   Reply With Quote