View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
dylanparry

The second suggestion caused X to fail to load on my system and left me with a command line only. I deleted the config file and rebooted, and X loaded correctly again.

I found that to get the default driver working, I had to use the following config:

Quote:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "i915"
Option "PageFlip" "false"
EndSection
Which sets the driver to the same one that modesetting detects, but also disables PageFlip.

-- Edit ---

I've found that using the newer drivers with PageFlip disabled causes a huge increase in CPU usage, and an accompanying increase in processor temperature/fan activity.

The old driver, playing Netflix in Chrome will hover around 60°C, whereas the new one with PageFlip disabled will be around 75°C for my system at least. The other issue I have is that with PageFlip disabled, video has a far increased tearing rate, and is not so great to watch.

I have now returned to the old driver until X is updated. The only issue I have with the old driver is that the mouse cursor flickers occasionally, and moving the mouse around the screen isn't particularly smooth compared to the new driver.

Last edited by dylanparry; 07-10-2017 at 12:32 PM.
dylanparry is offline   Reply With Quote