View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 05:08 AM   #7
PapaDrew

Cool Working but Heavily Lagged on One Monitor

With Big Sur 11.1 I was initially working with the Display Link Manager (DLM) 1.1 build. I had little noticeable problems (see below). After updating to the DLM 1.2 build I had issues with my main Dell AW3420DW not displaying at a decent resolution properly at first and then that monitor stopped working at all as I tried custom resolutions per a guide found on the DisplayLink support site. https://support.displaylink.com/know...-not-available They should probably update that guide with suggestions to use the [Gather Windows] button of the Display settings on a working monitor if your display stops working entirely. Had I known that I would have been able to get the then defunct display working again by setting its resolution back to a working resolution.

I was using an HDMI<->DP cable and swapped connections around for my displays finding that my Dell U3219Q no longer needed the single HDMI port I had on my docking station in order to display in portrait mode correctly. That free'd the HDMI port on my docking station up to do a strait HDMI connection from the Dell AW3420DW which resolved its problems.

My current configuration is:
Dell AW3420DW - HDMI <-> HDMI - Docking Station
Dell U3219Q - DP <-> DP - Docking Station
Dell U3415W - mDP <-> DP - Docking Station
The Docking Station is wired with USB-C to a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) = i7

Now I have a problem where if I move my cursor over to the Dell U3219Q and start working on things over there the DisplayLinkUserAgent's CPU usage shoots up from around 30% to over 100% and that monitor is very choppy in its display with me having to estimate where my mouse cursor will show up in order to work on that monitor. No biggy for now as my usage of that monitor is more for keeping track of incoming work communications than it is for actual work but a bother when I'm actually over there trying to type things.

Before upgrading to the 1.2 build I was using the 1.1 build with no problems except my Dell AW3420DW was having the same CPU issue but not as pronounced in the choppiness of the visual effect.

Before switching the U3219Q to the strait DP<->DP cord I used the old HDMI<->DP cord I had been using with the AW3420DW monitor and that was working. However, the CPU issue inspired the effort to switch to the strait DP<->DP connection with no benefit in performance.

I tried rolling back to the 1.1 build before discovering the cabling rework solution and that didn't get the Dell AW3420DW working while I was having that issue. I'm on the 1.2 build now and I'm reluctant to roll back to 1.1 again to see if that resolves the issues with the Dell U3219Q as I'm considering myself fortunate that it works on all three external displays at all at this point.

Anyone have solutions for the crazy CPU usage?

Last edited by PapaDrew; 01-15-2021 at 04:34 PM.
PapaDrew is offline   Reply With Quote