View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #7
mauromol

I'm now using DisplayLink driver 5.4 under Kubuntu 20.04 and ensured to use a USB 3.0 port of my notebook rather than a 2.0 one (... oh well, I just recently discovered that the ports I was using were not 3.0 ones but rather 2.0...).

The DisplayLink now works decently, however the CPU consumption is always relatively high (a constant ~10% at minimum, with peaks at 25% on a 4-core CPU, that means a whole core).
However it rarely happens that an application starts to make the DisplayLinkManager process crazy, so that it starts to eat a whole CPU core constantly...
In these cases, it's usually enough to minimize that application window or restart it. The problem is that it may be hard to identify which is the actually affected application...

I don't know whether the high CPU usage of DisplayLinkManager is a technical limit of how the video over USB passthrough is implemented, however I read a lot of posts on the Internet which say that under Windows there's no such CPU usage problem, so perhaps we can still hope for improvements under Linux as well?
mauromol is offline   Reply With Quote