View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
PaulKitching

Default How do I get 3 displays working (or 2 external monitors) from a laptop?

Hi,

I have a user who has a HP ProBook 4515s running Windows 7 Professional. He wants to use two identical HP external monitors plugged into a Toshiba DynaDock U10 (one through VGA, the other through DVI) and have the laptop lid closed.

I recently updated the displayLink drivers so his laptop could use 32-bit colours (it used to freeze the screen previously), and it now has this version on:

DisplayLink Core Software 5.6.31854.0 DisplayLink Corp.
DisplayLink Graphics 5.6.31870.0 DisplayLink Corp.

The laptop has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 in it.

When I click on the DynaDock icon in the SysTray, I get two options that give graphics properties, but both seem to be the standard Windows options. When the lid is closed I only see 1 monitor in the settings, and both physical monitors show the same screen, and when the laptop lid is open I see 2 monitors in the Windows settings (the DynaDock one is called something like "No Monitor"), and I get both externals showing the same screen and the Laptop one with a different screen.

I have set the options to extend the desktop, but both externals always show the same thing, and are identified as the same monitor in Windows 7.

I expected to see three screen shown in the Windows monitors setup (two for the DynaDock and one for the laptop). I've read that I can use 3 displays with this model.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or how I fix it?
PaulKitching is offline   Reply With Quote