View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
lightfoot256

In the end I opted for a Dell Multimonitor Hub (MMH11); it supplies 3 DVI outputs via a DisplayPort cable (so connected my Macbook Pro via a Mini DP to DP adapter) and requires a USB port for power. This works fantastic from a functional point of view but is limited by the maximum resolution of 3840x1024; which is a fair amount off of my target 5040x1050; However, the MacBook runs it effortlessly so for gaming and such it'll be perfect (the resolution is a little blury but the surround experience is worth it - especially from a laptop!)

However, the device does allow running of just single or dual outputs; so I can run two monitors at the full 1680x1050 resolution with full hardware acceleration and complete smoothness on two monitors (and the built in display)

So I ordered a DisplayLink USB -> DVI (Kingston version) to finalise the remaining monitor; I also ordered a hub to run the mouse and the dell monitor hub to then allow the DisplayLink a direct port on the mac (rather than via a hub).

Hopefully I don't have any issues with the DisplayLink adapter, but I'll try and reply back here with my experience.

In regards to one of your points; I can see why some manufacturers have held back but in my view - if you already have a business model and an idea and it's just a case of altering the mechanism then why not get there first before some other competitor does. Which is why I was curious as to whether this was DisplayLink holding back or Apple not letting them in. I'm grateful for what DisplayLink have done thus far but it seems like they just ran out of steam all of a sudden.

Thanks,
Chris
lightfoot256 is offline   Reply With Quote