Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJohn View Post
That is the correct dock. Here are the connections:

199 W power supply
Supports dual 4K at 60 Hz
Surface Connect cable (80 cm)
2 front-facing USB-CŪ (10 Gbps) (15 W)
2 rear-facing USB-CŪ (10 Gbps) video display enabled (7.5 W)
2 rear-facing USB-A 3.2 (10 Gbps) (7.5 W) 3.5 mm in/out audio jack
1 gigabit Ethernet
Security lock support (Kensington compatible)

I was reading this to mean that only the 2 rear-facing USB-C ports marked "video display enabled" are the only ports for "video out". I'm not the USB expert by any means here, so correct me please.

Also, I initially read the "3.5 mm in/out audio jack" to be part of the USB-A stuff, so I ignored it. Looking at it again, it seems that they are simply missing a carriage return before that audio port info.

If this all holds water still, then I'll pick up that switch for sure.

You are correct in that the USB Type-C ports on the back of the Surface Dock 2 are intended for video output. The important distinction is that those ports rely on the host system's built-in video output capabilities in order to function.

A DisplayLink USB video adapter does not have this requirement, which means that a DisplayLink device can be connected to the dock's USB Type-A port and still function properly.

To put that another way, you should be able to connect the DisplayLink USB video adapter to one of the USB Type-A ports within the Surface Dock 2, and the DisplayLink adapter should work.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote