View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
madscientist

Default DisplayLinkManager high CPU usage (Ubuntu 18.04)

I am seeing very high (30-50%) CPU usage from DisplayLinkManager on my Dell Precision 5520 running Ubuntu 18.04 with Gnome on X.org (not Wayland). This happens even if I don't have my laptop plugged into the DisplayLink!

By accident I seem to have discovered the culprit: if I have the Slack client running then DisplayLinkManager uses 50% CPU. As soon as I stop the Slack client, DisplayLinkManager CPU usage drops to 2-3%. If I start Slack again, it jumps back up immediately. Note if my screen locks and the displays go to sleep, then CPU usage goes back down even if Slack is running.

This is completely reproducible. I've not found any other software that does this (Chrome, Spotify, normal Linux apps) but that's not to say there aren't any! My laptop is at work so I won't be able to do more investigation this weekend, this is just an initial report.

I honestly can't understand why Slack would cause this problem, unless there's something odd/unique about the way it's using the display.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know if anyone else sees this issue with the Slack client. FWIW I installed the latest DEB version, not the Snap version, from https://slack.com/downloads/linux
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote