View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
nicolewells

Unhappy Windows 8 DisplayLink Issue

Hey Guys,

I recently performed a wipe and re-image of my ASUS G74SX laptop with a clean version of Windows 7 which I then upgraded with Windows 8 Pro. I then spent a couple of days installing all my standard apps and all seemed fine.

That was until I decided to update the display link software to the latest DisplayLink driver version (7.3M1) yesterday at which point my display when the Targus USB3.0 Dual Video Adapter was attached started showing instability.

The result of which is what looks to be the display link USB dropping out (with the USB disconnect noise) causing a display refresh of my 3 monitors down to 2 then the USB coming back (with the USB connect noise) causing another display refresh of my 3 monitors again showing all three again.

This happens at a random frequency of anything from 30 minutes to 5 seconds apart depending (I guess) on activity. It's almost like there is a crash/reset situation going.

I did have the occasional issue with one of the two Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controllers during my week of testing with the system where Windows would start up with this controller in an error state and some Google searches later I (may) have resolved that my disabling legacy USB support within the BIOS - something that fixed the issue for several others and (touch wood) seems to be working for me too.

So, in summary, 1 week of flawless 3 monitor usage until updating yesterday to the latest version of the display link software.

I have tried several options to uninstall display link software and graphics drivers and try reinstalling graphics from Windows Update and Display Link from previous good version (7.1M1) but even with Windows Update set to manual settings it eventually wants to update to the 7.3M1 version (7.4.50415.0)..

Any ideas?

My only option at the moment due to pure frustration with it has been to unplug the USB3.0 display device but this is an ultimately unacceptable solution.

Please find the collected debug support information below;

NWELLS_ASUS_20130826_114117.zip

Regards
Nicole Wells

Last edited by nicolewells; 08-26-2013 at 11:13 AM.
nicolewells is offline   Reply With Quote