Thread: M! Help Needed
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
anthlover

I do not think CalDigtit TS3 Plus is a Displaylink based product (in fact I do not think any of the Caldigits use Displaylink chipsets). I spent a lot of time looking at new docks.

I have both a CalDigit mindock 3 and Targus 180USZ (link below) which has a displaylink chip set and supports up to dual 4K displays and is a very reasonable $157 on sale at the moment (normally $249).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have M1 macbook air 16/1TB as well as a work 2017 Macbook Pro. The Caldgit works fine for my 2017, but I needed the Targus dock or similar for the M1 (to support dual displays and give me all the functionality/ports I wanted).

There are tons of Displaylink based products. A straight Thunderbolt dock without displaylink will only support 1 external display and 1 internal on a M1 Mabook air/pro (current limitation of M1 TB chipset). With displaylink based products M1 based macs support 5-6 external displays (air/pro vs. mini).

Be sure use the 1.2 or newer driver that supports M1 macs if you buy a dock like the Targus that has a displaylink based chip set.

Last edited by anthlover; 12-28-2020 at 12:56 AM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote