View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
CReeves

Default Error installing new driver: "Cannot remove old driver. "Plus performance issues.

Hi there,
Starting today, I've noticed an extreme impact in system performance when my DisplayLink is plugged in. I locked my desktop and the screensaver came up. The system would fail to resume. I powered off and on again, and now I can't use my Displaylink without the computer slowing way down. No idea why. If I boot up without the DisplayLink plugged in, it's fine. As soon as I plug it in, or boot with it plugged in, it's slowdown city. So I thought I'd reinstall the driver to troubleshoot.

I last updated the driver in January, so I thought to install a newer version. When I install the new driver, I get a basic message that says "The older version of the driver cannot be installed. Contact your technical group." Oops...I am the technical group.

I then tried to uninstall the previous driver manually. I get this: The file "c:\users\creeves\appdata\local\temp\(lots of numbers)\DisplaylinkIDD.msi cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package "DisplaylinkIDD.msi" in a folder from which you can install the product DisplayLink Graphics Driver.

I opened the driver installation executable with 7zip to see if I could find displaylinkidd.msi, but no luck .

Last edited by CReeves; 12-26-2019 at 03:20 PM.
CReeves is offline   Reply With Quote