View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,
We still specify 6. DisplayLink never guaranteed 14. Plugable demonstrated it, probably because most think that more than 4 displays are impossible, they didn't specify it. If it can do 14, then it can do 6 comfortably was probably their reasoning. But to know what Plugable was thinking, please ask Plugable rather than DisplayLink. Their email is support at Plugable dot com.
In engineering unlimited never exists, ever! Suggesting the opposite would be ludicrous.
Your machine will stop enumeration of USB devices before most current CPU/GPU usually stop being able to handle the resolution. Today, the limitation tends to be the budget to buy monitors. The limitation is not on DisplayLink side.
More makes the test matrix unmanageable with the wide range of adapters, docks and monitors available in the market today.
They work, but we don't/can't routinely test them. Yet, when a bug is raised on unusually high number of displays, we will try and investigate as this forum history proves. See the last bug in the OS reported on Plugable adapters. MS fixed it after we explained the issue.
Daisy chain depth limitation is an host controller limitation so not up to us to characterise. A max depth of 4 is usually safe, but you'll have to check with your host controller spec. The limitation observed tends to be more on number of USB endpoints rather than devices.
Most people don't buy 15 monitors so why would we spend their money testing it at every release on every Windows build... We showed 3x Dell D6000 and 3x Targus docks to drive 6x4Kp60 (try that with TB3/alt mode, please and report to us all). That's more than everyone I've met at CES needed today.
Are you really going to buy that many pixels?

If you are truthfully looking at a solution then I'll be delighted to discuss your particular use case. If it's just to argue like the other thread you hijacked from the OP, I will obviously be less inclined to spend my personal free time on this as I focus my time on helping people.

What is your use case requiring many displays? Also can you tell what desktop resolution you're looking at with what platform? From these I can tell what's achievable.

Regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote