View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #78
Manuel

Just got a new Dell Latitude E7480 with a D6000 docking station. And then I had to find about this annoyance.
Playing full screen video on my external 2560x1440 monitor is with one exception impossible without getting eye cancer because of stutter, tearing etc.

For detailed log see attachement.

1. Windows 10 Build Number
W10 1703. But it was the same in the previous version. I only got the update to 1703 today and even did uninstall DisplayLink, used the cleaner and reinstalled. No difference.

6. The value of CPU being used.

?

7. What happens on ALL indirect displays (indirect = through USB). If you have Task Manager on an indirect display, then it is NOT idling as content changes!!! This is really one of the most important point. Here are some examples:
7a. Content fully static: nothing changes at all, and I mean nothing, not the clock, not the mouse pointer.

Actually with a cursor blinking and the clock changing every minute, the CPU load is 1%, just as expected for an idle system.

7b. Some little area changes: like for instance you only have some numbers on the clock or the numbers in Task Manager.

With the task manager maximized and high update frequency, CPU load is 7% with the CPU graph and 10% with the detailed process list.

7c. Only the mouse pointer across indirect displays. (if you do this, please do NOT use the mouse trail accessibility feature or this is the same use case as 7b).

6-7%

7d. Moving a window. Indicate an idea of the size of the window... I mean moving a 10x10 pixels windows is obviously fundamentally different to moving a 4kx4k one.

Standard CMD window 20%. Explorer with file list about half the size of the monitor: 20-40%, depending on speed.

7e. Playing video on VLC

Standard settings: 70% but choppy, laggy playback with tearing.
With OpenGL as output renderer the playback is almost ok, but CPU goes up to 90% total.
Other renderers are not a noticable improvement in playback quality.
With MPC-HD all renderers yield bad results.
Interestingly the built-in Windows 10 player ("Filme&TV" in German) and the WMP both manage to play the video fine, since they seem to use incredibly little CPU for playback, around 5%. Still WUDF uses about 40%. Total is between 40-50%. Looks like with these players, the PC isn't choked, but it is still unacceptable.

7f. Playing video on a browser (and the value is constant across browsers). Our driver CANNOT differentiate which browser is playing.

Firefox and Chrome both choke with 90-100% load when playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eminWvN1O88. Playback quality is unacceptable.
Edge seems to cope well. 50-70% CPU load and playback is not as back as with the other browsers, still it is not as good as playing a local copy. But still MS software seems to use a different pipeline than other programs. And while this mitigates the issue, it doesn't solve it.

7g. Game, full screen or windowed? Games do NOT use the same as video playback.

No games available, but just zooming in Photoshop CS4, which is OpenGL accelerated, yields 30+% WUDF load.

Overall the issue is proportional to the amount of changed screen estate. Playing videos in smaller windows works. Using the mouse sometimes feels like dragging it through honey when the system is peaking.

So, when can we expect usable drivers? The reports are going on for months and DisplayLink isn't around since yesterday. I'm using the latest release drivers and there aren't even newer alpha or beta drivers to test. We were promised the devs are working on the issue, but I've yet to see any breakthrough on the issue. Please don't test this with external FullHD monitors and announce that everything works fine. DisplayLink advertises 4K@60 and I assumed this included changing screen content, not static images.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NEURO-HEWITT-NB_20170821_143640.zip (489.2 KB, 2 views)