View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Saturn2888

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW20087 View Post
This little bug was getting on my nerves. I have Windows 7 x64 with the newly released SP1. I personally hate Aero themes, because I think they are clunky and heavy handed. Besides that, I seem to get a little more performance from the classic mode.

I found it unusual that the issues that I was having only seemed to happen when using FF4 and above. I tried everything; e.g. reinstalled all drivers, different combinations of legacy drivers, etc, etc.

This morning I realized it HAD to be something with FF. So in FF, under Tools > Options > Advanced, I unchecked the option for "Use hardware acceleration when possible". Everything seems to work perfectly now. BTW, I also have the "Optimize for Video" option enabled in the DisplayLink tray utility.

Now I can calm the heck down and focus on some work.
I'm sorry to say that you didn't fix the problem at all. In fact, this is not Mozilla's fault, it's Microsoft's, but because they do not make the DisplayLink driver, then the issue is with DisplayLink. Disabling accelerated graphics is only a workaround, not a fix. Preferrably, you should be able to use Firefox, or any other application, that uses acceleration in your DisplayLink devices with non-Aero configurations in Windows because this used to work even though it no longer works now.

There's no reason to accept a workaround as a solution. Sure it fixes it only with Firefox, but then that also breaks all acceleration which newer versions of Firefox benefit from.
Saturn2888 is offline   Reply With Quote