DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Windows Server 2008 R2 support (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102)

merlyn 09-25-2009 03:45 PM

Windows Server 2008 R2 support

I noticed that the RC and Beta 2 are blocked on Windows Server 2008 R2 (X64). When I attempt to install, a message is displayed, "The software for DisplayLink Graphics is not supported on this operating system version. Please visit www.displaylink.com/software for an updated driver."

I realise that the configuration may not be supported, however:
  • I'm currently running "DisplayLink 5.2b1" and it works fine on Win2k8 R2.
  • Previously, I was running Win Server 2k8 X64 with DisplayLink and it worked great.
I suggest displaying a message that the configuration is not supported, but allowing the installation to continue.

prologix 10-01-2009 09:53 PM

I agree. The first beta supported Windows Server 2008 R2 and now I'm stuck 3 beta drivers behind and it's bad too because of the slowness and the speed of window refreshed that have been fixed in the later beta's in fixed in Windows 7.

Please please please fix this or provide a work around for power users who need the 3 monitors and utilize a power workstation / server as a monitoring station.

I'm almost to the point where I'm going to buy another video card and sell the dock because if it's not going to be supported then this solution won't work for me.

Please give us an update on this.

fozi 10-08-2009 05:38 AM

I just purchased a Mimo and I'm very disappointed to find out that I couldn't run it on 2008R2 or 2003 (32bit).

I can understand the reason for not supporting an OS (dev time, testing, etc.) but please don't block the install. It would be nice just to have a pop-up that says "Hey this is unsupported OS. Do you want to continue?" I can't see any reason to block 2008R2 it's just Win7 with server licensing even the build numbers are the same.

Please. At least remove the block and sign the driver for R2.

prologix 10-08-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fozi (Post 412)
I just purchased a Mimo and I'm very disappointed to find out that I couldn't run it on 2008R2 or 2003 (32bit).

I can understand the reason for not supporting an OS (dev time, testing, etc.) but please don't block the install. It would be nice just to have a pop-up that says "Hey this is unsupported OS. Do you want to continue?" I can't see any reason to block 2008R2 it's just Win7 with server licensing even the build numbers are the same.

Please. At least remove the block and sign the driver for R2.

I am in absolute agreement here. This is silly. Don't support it sure even though it's driver architecture is 99% of Windows 7, same core kernel etc.. but don't block the install.

As a tip you can download the very first beta and it does work on R2 but it's slow and buggy with screen refresh on my setup. Dunno if it's an Aero thing or not but it takes sometimes 4 to 5 seconds to switch between windows and this is on a fast Raid 0, Quad core machine.

Again we've had almost 100 views and 3 ppl post. I'm certain this is a larger problem than most are even posting and we've yet to see anything from the Display link staff even noting that we exist. If we don't get an answer in the next week or so I'm returning mine for a full refund at Sam's. That is where I bought it and I'll just buy a different solutions. It's a real shame this solution and our questions go unsupported and unanswered for so long. I'm sure we are going to get a post that says "IT'S BETA YOU IDIOT" and I totally understand that it is but having 0 communication with the dev team is also unacceptable too. Especially if they have this forum for communication and feedback for issues.

Slider-Override 10-13-2009 05:26 PM

Is there now a way to use it in Server 2008 R2 64Bit ? :(

It says Unsupportet OS :(

Please DisplayLink Support Team Help

nissimn 10-13-2009 09:21 PM

Need Win2008 R2 X64

I join the above thread. Note that some software companies are using Windows Server 2008 X64 as their main desktop to run Hyper-V. If you do not support this OS, they will not be able to use DisplayLink-certified hardware to add monitors to their desktop.

Indeed, B1 driver works fine. We all want to enjoy from latest improvements, please do not completely block setup or at least enable command line switch to unblock it.

Slider-Override 10-14-2009 07:36 PM

The B1 driver says wrong driver :(

what am I doing wrong?

http://www.freepicload.com/view.php?...5fb5c722a8.png

The Device Manager says:

-USB-Display Adapter
->DisplayLink Display Adapter (0030)

If it works in your Windows 2008 R2 x64 Please uploaded a worling driver and tell me the URL.

rys 10-14-2009 11:51 PM

Not 100% sure on this, but you may be able to edit their setup file by using Microsoft Orca or InstEd.

I don't think the developers are watching this board at all or even care...

Slider-Override 10-15-2009 01:11 PM

, i will test it,

but last time i edit the driver, Windows Server 2008 R is Booting without USB Support ;( No USB Keyboard or USB Mouse, i can only undo this with a PS2 Keyboard ;)

I have found the Microsoft Orca

but not the "InstEd." have you a url for me ?

now i test Orca, but i have never use this tool, i will test it.

Edit:

Both tools works only with msi files, the RC driver is a .exe file

rys 10-16-2009 04:47 AM

Sorry to hear that Orca can't open it. Sometimes it can open certain exe files even though they are not MSI format.

I did notice that it is possible to open setup.exe using 7-zip, which reveals DisplayLinkUpdater.exe

Not sure if DisplayLinkUpdater qualifies whether it is allowed to run on an OS or not, or if it contains enough of the software to get the USB adapter to work (and not just the driver.)

Martin 10-17-2009 05:53 PM

Really sorry for the lack of response guys, but DL dev is listening.

The bad news is that we have disabled Server 2008 R2 support due to various issues, so it will not work in the 5.2 product release. I'll ask around for the current status and respond next week.

Regards,

Martin.

Slider-Override 10-18-2009 01:14 PM

:( Please release a Server 2008 R2 Driver,

prologix 10-22-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin (Post 472)
Really sorry for the lack of response guys, but DL dev is listening.

The bad news is that we have disabled Server 2008 R2 support due to various issues, so it will not work in the 5.2 product release. I'll ask around for the current status and respond next week.

Regards,

Martin.

You just lost a customer...fyi...and I'm sure many more will follow suite. Tell that to the developers.

Wim 11-06-2009 08:12 AM

Dear All

At DisplayLink we have been reading this thread and understand how annoying disabling install on server versions has been for you all.

Due to commercial and contractual constraints introduced over the past few months on DisplayLink, we have had to pro-activly prevent install on Microsoft Server 2008 R2 platforms.

Unfortunately we cannot give any more details of the reasons for this at this time. However DisplayLink is continuously reviewing this situation and we want to try and find a solution that will solve this and prevent this frustration with users.

Thank you for your patience.

Wim

Slider-Override 11-06-2009 05:14 PM

Thats Bad,

if you need a Beta Test for the 2008 R2 driver, send me a Mail oder PM,

but not in 2 years, since then I've designed for a different product in use.

Now I will put the expensive hardware into the closet again, :mad:

steuk 11-06-2009 07:34 PM

Solved? :-)

Hello ladies and gentlemen!
It seems I figured out a little workaround: I had the problem on Win2003 server. You'll wonder: After getting the same error about my OS, i tried to start setup in compatibility mode (right-klick, properties, compatibility).
WinXP-Mode didn't work, but Win2k did! I'm running my MiMo 720 on Win2003 server now.
Greetings,
Steuk

steuk 11-06-2009 11:16 PM

not quite yet :-/

Greetings. It seems I started yodeling too early - it doesn't work as I wish.
Exactly: After started in "win2k-mode", the driver has been installed and a 2nd monitor is listed in the display properties. Nevertheless, device manager lists a monitor named "none" (uh, there is a no-device plugged in. greetings from nietzsche!) and resolution of this none-monitor has only default values of eg. 640x480; correct resolution is not listed.

This all wouldn't matter.
BUT, ladies and gentlemen, the worst thing with this: The f....g device doesn't display anything!

Allright, so I don't have a sollution, too. But maybe this could be an approach for someone of you. I'd be lucky to hear about!

Slider-Override 11-07-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steuk (Post 620)
Hello ladies and gentlemen!
It seems I figured out a little workaround: I had the problem on Win2003 server. You'll wonder: After getting the same error about my OS, i tried to start setup in compatibility mode (right-klick, properties, compatibility).
WinXP-Mode didn't work, but Win2k did! I'm running my MiMo 720 on Win2003 server now.
Greetings,
Steuk

Hi, Please tell me the driver version you have use for the Win2k Mode ? 5.2 RC ? 5.2 B1

angrydeveloper 11-09-2009 05:49 PM

Unbelievable!!!!!!

When will this be fixed? There has to be a workaround; this is ridiculous.

I tried installing the package in a Win7 VM and moving the drivers back over to the server (along with several variations along that line), but to no avail. The architecture of the product doesn't appear to be straightforward enough for that.

I hadn't been able to find an add-in card that would give me a 3rd display port that works with my onboard VGA/DVI combo. Your USB adapter technology was the only one I'd been able to find that would allow them to coexist. I've now lost my 3rd monitor - again.

This is unacceptable. I now see that I'm not the only person experiencing this issue. If this is Microsoft you're fighting with, they should know they have tens of thousands of developers that use their server products for development. I am a legitimate user of 2008 R2 server; I downloaded and installed it as part of the Microsoft Gold Partner program.

If it's not Microsoft you're fighting with, then what's the use of your patent?

Please advise on my options and/or a timetable for resolution ASAP.

Phil Meads 11-11-2009 06:14 AM

I have an ASUS VW223B that runs fine with DisplayLink 4.6.19729 on my DELL PowerEdge T608 with two quad core Opterons using Windows Server 2008 x64 (SP2)--running at 1680X1050. The main monitor is a 24" Samsung running at 1920X1200.

The problem comes when I try to add a third (and fourth) monitor using Diamond BVU160 display adapters. Adding a third causes both of the DisplayLink connected monitors to fail. There seems to be no way around this.

I did try, on another machine running Windows 7, to run these added monitors. The first worked fine (didn't even require a reboot), but adding the second caused a complete failure: blue screen of death!

I too am very anxious to have this problem solved. It seems to me to be relatively simple.

By the way, it appears that ASUS has dropped any relationship with DisplayLink; I am not surprised! There are a lot of people with DisplayLink trying to run on Windows Server 2008 x64. We deserve some help from DisplayLink!

Phil Meads 11-13-2009 09:24 PM

3 added monitors with windows 7

On my laptop, where I run Windows 7, I added the three monitors that I intend to use with my big machine when DisplayLink provides some support for Windows Server 2008 x64.

All three, including my ASUS VW223B and two Diamond BVU160 driven displays could be added together. When arranged as a horizontal series of monitors, they appear to work just fine. However, when arranged as a square pattern with the two driven by the BVU160s above the attached monitor and the ASUS monitor to the right, I was unable to move windows up to either of the upper monitors.

This is the arrangement that I want to use with my DELL server running Windows server 2008 x64.

I did some experimenting copying DisplayLink 5.2 files from my laptop to my DELL, getting some recognition (no wrong OS message) but not anything usable yet.

I had been using version 4.6.19279 (Vista x64 version) completely successfully with the single added monitor being the ASUS VW223B. This arrangement crashes with the addition of another monitor. On the ASUS site, I found a newer VISTA x64 version of 4.6 (=4.6.2) and installed that with no problem. I had hoped that it perhaps would allow me to add the other two monitors, but after installation, it let me know that it was not going to run on my operating system (this did not happen with 4.6.19279), and now I am unable to return to 4.6.19279 ("DisplayLink up to date" although I had removed the DisplayLink graphics). So now I will look at the various log files for a clue.

I would appreciate having someone tell me how to get back to 4.6.19279!

Previously, I had downloaded Microsoft Application Verifier and gone through all of the steps suggested in a previous post. When then attempting to load 5.2, I still got the message that mine was an unsupported operating system. (I spent a full day yesterday working with the various approaches.)

nissimn 11-14-2009 03:19 AM

who deleted my post?

Well, it seems like somebody destroyed my post with the workaround using app verifier to lie about the version in order to get latest driver working on Windows 2008 R2.

Well, devs are monitoring - they do not want you to know that it is working :D...

BTW, I've installed the latest NVidia Beta driver for my main graphics card and all problems are GONE!!!

I finally have Windows 2008 R2 running with:
* NVidia GeForce 8800 with latest Beta driver (search beta on NVidia site)
* Diamond BVU160 with recent DisplayLink 5.2 RC 5.2.21555.0
* The workaround I mentioned in the previous post (deleted by admins here).

It is running fast, and no crashes. And, it is even coming from sleep fast after Nvidia Beta driver install....

DisplayLink devs: really. What is the problem with enabling this scenario? You can always say: this is unsupported, you do not have to actually block it. You do not want to test it, fine - but do not block the setup - just add warning in setup...

What are the long term plans re Windows 2008 R2?

angrydeveloper 11-15-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wim (Post 612)
Dear All

At DisplayLink we have been reading this thread and understand how annoying disabling install on server versions has been for you all.

Due to commercial and contractual constraints introduced over the past few months on DisplayLink, we have had to pro-activly prevent install on Microsoft Server 2008 R2 platforms.

Unfortunately we cannot give any more details of the reasons for this at this time. However DisplayLink is continuously reviewing this situation and we want to try and find a solution that will solve this and prevent this frustration with users.

Thank you for your patience.
Wim

You're assuming we have patience for this type of BS. I just installed Win7 drivers for a Tritton adapter without issue on my R2 installation. Tritton, your competition. Your adapter technology is better, but I'd rather have a sh***y solution than no solution at all. You provide...no solution at all.

Where's the reply? I thought you were going to get back within a week...several weeks ago.

Phil Meads 11-17-2009 08:10 PM

Another very angry user!!!!!

:mad:

By the way, I did save the work around instructions that you have now deleted.

Do explain what the problem is that prevents you from making some sort of arrangement for Windows Server 2008 x64 users to get a working driver for DisplayLink.

I've now been waiting about five months!!!!

Now I can't even use one added monitor. Having removed all references to ASUS EZlink and DisplayLink (except for things hidden in the registry), when I try to attach my ASUS VW223B, it looks only for a 5.2 driver, which of, course is not allowed to run. I even tried to masquerade a 4.6 driver to be a 5.2 driver, but that didn't fool it. (There is no mention of displaylink in "program files", and I am prevented from removing those left in SYSTEM32.)

I am considering sending posts to various places, such as CNET, informing readers of my experience with DisplayLink, ASUS, and Diamond, hoping that such negative publicity might have some sort of positive impact on you.

Philip F. Meads, Jr., Ph.D.

Martin 11-18-2009 08:45 AM

Hi Philip, etc,

Please fefer to Wim's post for the reasons why we have to include the block. I realise this is vague, but the reason is not of a technical nature, and is instead legal. This is the reason why I left it up to another department to respond, rather than getting myself fired.

It is not possible at the moment, therefore, to remove the block. I and the rest of displaylink understand your frustrations and we are constantly monitoring the situation.

Best regards,
Martin.

jfont25 11-18-2009 05:39 PM

This is probably the reason.

http://www.displaylink.com/thin_client.html

Phil Meads 11-18-2009 05:44 PM

Thanks for a quick reply. Do have your legal department really look at this--
very soon.

I can't see where you have any liability should you not block us, leaving it up to us to try it out at our risk, and it is only at our risk.

Of course I hope you can quickly release it for Windows Server 2008 x64.

As I've said previously, it works just fine with one added monitor, but not with more. (And right now, adding one monitor has Windows insisting on loading 5.2 to run it--which isn't going to work.)

Phil Meads 11-18-2009 05:58 PM

Using a server as a workstation

One other comment:

I go my Dell PowerEdge T605 server to use as a workstation. I was looking for a machine with error-correcting memory and a RAID 5 disk configuration, and the easiest way to get this was to buy a server. I had also bought a Dell server for my church a year earlier and had been quite pleased with that machine.

I had originally intended to run this using Windows XP x64, but Dell made that impossible so I had to go to Windows Server 2008. Also, Dell made life difficult to expand graphic capabilities by providing no PCI Express 16 slots (only 8 and 4).

I want multiple screens when I am working on Pascal codes for particle accelerator optics where I need to see and modify a lot of routines at the same time.

I also find this very helpful when doing accounting for the Seafarers Ministry of the Golden Gate, where a lot of different sources need to be available at the same time.

Slider-Override 11-27-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nissimn (Post 674)
Well, it seems like somebody destroyed my post with the workaround using app verifier to lie about the version in order to get latest driver working on Windows 2008 R2.

Well, devs are monitoring - they do not want you to know that it is working :D...

BTW, I've installed the latest NVidia Beta driver for my main graphics card and all problems are GONE!!!

I finally have Windows 2008 R2 running with:
* NVidia GeForce 8800 with latest Beta driver (search beta on NVidia site)
* Diamond BVU160 with recent DisplayLink 5.2 RC 5.2.21555.0
* The workaround I mentioned in the previous post (deleted by admins here).

It is running fast, and no crashes. And, it is even coming from sleep fast after Nvidia Beta driver install....

DisplayLink devs: really. What is the problem with enabling this scenario? You can always say: this is unsupported, you do not have to actually block it. You do not want to test it, fine - but do not block the setup - just add warning in setup...

What are the long term plans re Windows 2008 R2?

I have test it with alle Display Link Driver versions, but i don not work :(

i have a nvidia cards,
can you tell my the Nvidia driver version you user in Windows Server 2008 R2 ?

the Problem is that the screen are blank :( but it the settings it is listed. (Display5)
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1563/noscreen.png

Slider-Override 11-27-2009 03:40 PM

OOOOo my God it works :) Jiiiippppyyyy

the Problem was the Nvidia driver true,

i have updated to the 195.62 and now it Works :)

Phil Meads 12-02-2009 01:42 AM

It's been two more weeks with no answer from lawyers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin (Post 706)
Hi Philip, etc,

Please fefer to Wim's post for the reasons why we have to include the block. I realise this is vague, but the reason is not of a technical nature, and is instead legal. This is the reason why I left it up to another department to respond, rather than getting myself fired.

It is not possible at the moment, therefore, to remove the block. I and the rest of displaylink understand your frustrations and we are constantly monitoring the situation.

Best regards,
Martin.

It's been two more weeks with no answer from your legal department as why they insist on blocking us users of Windows Server 2008 from access to DisplayLink.

I have three unused monitors attached to my DELL server that is running as a workstation (with RAID 5 and error-correcting ram). Please get your legal department to be reasonable. (I suspect none of us has any interest in your "thin client" product.)

solomon 12-10-2009 02:49 PM

How about Windows Home Server at least?

Would it be possible to make the installer permit Windows Home Server - which does have Server 2003 SBS underlying but should be uniquely identifiable.

That seems like it should not run afoul of the thin clients and still fill a huge hole for those of us who want to better manage the headless WHS boxes out there.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

joeldhall 12-28-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin (Post 706)
Hi Philip, etc,

Best regards,
Martin.

I as well just purchased a USB monitor that uses Display Link drivers. I am running a Windows 7 HyperV image, on a Server 2008 R2 machine. Is there any way to get this working without drivers that work with Server 2008 R2? And if not, why is there still no drivers for Server 2008 R2, or at least some workaround or beta driver? If it is indeed a legal issue, then the issue should be made public to customers so we know what is going on, rather than keeping us in the dark. Right now I just have an expensive paper weight sitting on my desk :(

Phil Meads 01-05-2010 06:24 AM

Another month has gone by without any response from the legal people.

When are your legal people going to treat us fairly? It's been a half a year!

Phil Meads 04-21-2010 03:24 AM

Windows Server 2008 still rejected

It's been another half year with no progress.

Recall that I started last June with an ASUS VW223B, downloaded the DisplayLink software for a 64 bit VISTA machine and found that it worked fine with one added monitor on my DELL PowerEdge T605 with Windows Server 2008.

I then added two more monitors through Diamond BVU160 adapters only to find that adding more monitors caused DisplayLink to bomb, requiring uninstallation followed by re-installation.

I tried this on my laptop running Windows 7, and it also bombed with more than one added monitor:mad::mad:. However, downloading a more recent version allowed Windows 7 to more or less run with multiple added monitors.

But I have been denied the use of newer corrected versions of DisplayLink on my DELL machine (which I use purely as a workstation).

I have written here, I have sent letters to DisplayLink personnel, including the legal department, but there have been no responses in over a half a year.

I am really irritated at being denied the use of equipment for which I paid a fair amount of money. Please remove your nasty requirement that denies me the use of your recent corrections, such as version 5.3

Philip F. Meads, Jr., Ph.D.
retired accelerator physicist

Phil Meads 04-22-2010 07:57 PM

:mad::mad:
Is anyone at DisplayLink paying any attention to these posts?????
:mad::mad: