DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Confused on Night Light for Dell D6000 Dock (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67260)

BowserLink 08-08-2020 10:40 PM

Confused on Night Light for Dell D6000 Dock

Hi,
I've read this about Night Light for Windows 10:
https://support.displaylink.com/know...ticles/1886413

So for clarity before I buy cables, the Dell D6000 has 2 DisplayPort outputs and 1 HDMI. Is the link above suggesting that Night Light will only work on the HDMI output?

BowserLink 08-10-2020 10:36 PM

Is anyone able to provide clarity on this?

Thank you for the help.

jigglywiggly 08-12-2020 12:22 AM

It only works on monitors connected to the displayport outputs.

BowserLink 08-12-2020 09:23 PM

OK, that is odd. I've connected the it to HDMI port on the Dock to the HDMI port on the Monitor and it works. I then connect it from the DisplayPort on the Dock to the HDMI port on the same monitor and it doesn't work.

Any thoughts on this?

AlbanRampon 08-13-2020 10:40 PM

Good afternoon,

End products do not only have a DisplayLink chip in them and other components impact the feature set. That is the case of the Dell D6000.

The night light feature stays in beta state as it has some issues.

For the Dell D6000, it would work on the HDMI or DP outputs. If using a DisplayPort output, you need to connect to a DisplayPort monitor, or use an *active* converter. I believe your case does not work because you use a passive adapter.

Kind regards,
Alban

BowserLink 08-14-2020 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 90518)
Good afternoon,

End products do not only have a DisplayLink chip in them and other components impact the feature set. That is the case of the Dell D6000.

The night light feature stays in beta state as it has some issues.

For the Dell D6000, it would work on the HDMI or DP outputs. If using a DisplayPort output, you need to connect to a DisplayPort monitor, or use an *active* converter. I believe your case does not work because you use a passive adapter.

Kind regards,
Alban

Yes, I'm using a passive DisplayPort to HDMI cable. I will try an active Converter or Active cable. Is there one that is recommended?

AlbanRampon 08-14-2020 11:41 PM

Before you purchase additional hardware, I'd like to make sure you're not going to meet issues.
Would you mind using our customer support tool (see my forum signature for link) and post the .EDID file in your DisplayLink folder created on the desktop for the display you wish to connect through that adapter? It will give me the monitor characteristics.
Kind regards,
Alban

BowserLink 08-17-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 90534)
Before you purchase additional hardware, I'd like to make sure you're not going to meet issues.
Would you mind using our customer support tool (see my forum signature for link) and post the .EDID file in your DisplayLink folder created on the desktop for the display you wish to connect through that adapter? It will give me the monitor characteristics.
Kind regards,
Alban

Thanks for the response. I ran the "Windows DisplayLink Support Tool" and I cannot find any .EDID files in the DisplayLink folder on my desktop. Was this the correct tool? (I ran it as admin and enabled the two advanced options).

Thank you

AlbanRampon 08-17-2020 09:34 PM

It is the correct tool and the files should be both in the archive and in the subfolder with date and time of collection.
Alternatively, provided you have connected the display you wish to check about, the original location of the file is C:\Windows\Temp\DisplayLink. The file name starts with the name and model of monitor, followed by serial number before .edid.
Kind regards,
Alban

BowserLink 08-17-2020 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 90557)
It is the correct tool and the files should be both in the archive and in the subfolder with date and time of collection.
Alternatively, provided you have connected the display you wish to check about, the original location of the file is C:\Windows\Temp\DisplayLink. The file name starts with the name and model of monitor, followed by serial number before .edid.
Kind regards,
Alban

OK, the *.EDID files were in the C:\windows\Temp folder. I have attached them as a ZIP file.