DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Linux and Open Source (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ubuntu 19.04 and DisplayLink Driver (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66586)

ESSEDIA 05-08-2019 08:06 AM

Here you can find possible solution:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ocking_station

This works for me, try it!
Good luck!

rick_pri 05-22-2019 09:59 AM

Black screen

I'm using 19.04 via Pop!_OS. There does seem to be an issue with this but, during boot up press the F2 key and you'll see that it gets stuck on a startup task, if you leave it for about 5 mins you'll eventually see that it kind of hangs, at this point press CTRL + ALT + F2 and then CTRL + ALT + F1 and the Gnome GDM will load just fine.

rick_pri 05-22-2019 10:11 AM

Crashing of DisplayLink Driver when heavily using the network if

1 Attachment(s)
I'm finding that when duplicity kicks in in the mornings (backup is sent to network attached storage) that my screens freeze and the network connection dies.

I'm using a Startech.com DK30A2DH with dual 4K monitors and a couple of USB devices (keyboard, mouse headphones) but you'll be able to see all of this from the attached Support Tool log output attached to this post.

EJB 05-23-2019 10:27 AM

Thank you, @ESSEDIA, for your pointer. I tried many things from that site, and other stuff inspired by that site. Nothing worked.

I decided to do a clean 19.04 install on my Dell G5 5587, with D3100 docking station. The first thing I did, after the clean install was done, was to install the DisplayLink driver v5.1.26. And, guess what, it now works like a charm.

retrodaredevil 05-26-2019 02:00 PM

A while ago I got display link to install, and it works perfectly for the most part, except that one of my monitors is unusable. I'm running Kubuntu and my AOC monitor looks like this:

https://i.imgur.com/gyJIcQ5

adin 06-05-2019 09:27 PM

I can confirm that using DisplayLink driver v5.1.26 works (almost), on Ubuntu 19.04 (kernel 5.0.0-16-generic).

I can get two monitors to work with display port additionally to the laptop.

However, I'm experiencing random system freezes. Randomly, the whole system just stops, I can't see if there is any relation with what I'm doing. The only way to get the system back is a hard shutdown.

Any ideas on how to diagnose this?

rick_pri 06-06-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adin (Post 88062)
I can confirm that using DisplayLink driver v5.1.26 works (almost), on Ubuntu 19.04 (kernel 5.0.0-16-generic).

I can get two monitors to work with display port additionally to the laptop.

However, I'm experiencing random system freezes. Randomly, the whole system just stops, I can't see if there is any relation with what I'm doing. The only way to get the system back is a hard shutdown.

Any ideas on how to diagnose this?

For me, I would see the DisplayLink connected screens freeze and then I would unplug via usb and plug back in again, and then I'd have to run an alias which I've created from ARandR to fix my screen layout.

What I've found is that this always happend earlier in the day and it was happening when the network was very busy (backups being uploaded to the NAS). Since I've switched to plugging in the network cable directly into my machine that has resolved this issue for me. I don't particularly use the USB ports on my device, but I suspect heavy USB port usage could also have a similar impact.

adin 06-06-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick_pri (Post 88067)
For me, I would see the DisplayLink connected screens freeze and then I would unplug via usb and plug back in again, and then I'd have to run an alias which I've created from ARandR to fix my screen layout.

What I've found is that this always happend earlier in the day and it was happening when the network was very busy (backups being uploaded to the NAS). Since I've switched to plugging in the network cable directly into my machine that has resolved this issue for me. I don't particularly use the USB ports on my device, but I suspect heavy USB port usage could also have a similar impact.

In my case, when the screen freezes there is no coming back but a hard shutdown. Unplugging the dock doesn't do anything. The laptop's screen is still frozen, and there is no way to see if the inputs are coming through. I checked the logs, but I can't identify anything related to the displaylink since I don't know what to look for. :confused:

rick_pri 06-17-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adin (Post 88069)
In my case, when the screen freezes there is no coming back but a hard shutdown. Unplugging the dock doesn't do anything. The laptop's screen is still frozen, and there is no way to see if the inputs are coming through. I checked the logs, but I can't identify anything related to the displaylink since I don't know what to look for. :confused:

Can you
Code:

Alt+F2
then type 'r' and hit enter? You can't see it but this will refresh GDM for you (That's if you're using that desktop manager)
If that does nothing can you
Code:

Ctrl+F2
into a console? Then you might be able reload your display manager (although this will kill your current session) so I think that you can reload the DisplayLink service itself first with something like
Code:

sudo service displaylink-driver restart

I've found that sometimes the display manager would have issues with not displaying onto my internal screen (it would still act as if the display was disabled - as I used to have my laptop lid closed whilst using the other monitors.) There may be something in the
Code:

/var/log/syslog

rick_pri 07-23-2019 03:45 PM

Thumbs up for the latest release from me

I can confirm that my issue on startup where it looked like my machine was frozen has gone with the latest release and has been fine since release day (now my machine boots just as I would expect it to, without the ~5min delay in startup and the requirement to do the CTRL+F2, CTRL+F1 dance to get the GDM screen to appear.)

Let's hope that it continues to work with the 19.10 release later this year (I tend to do day 1 updates, and sometimes I jump onto the beta/RC releases if I have a particularly annoying issue which is fixed in the newer version.)