DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   USB 3.0 monitor (AOC e1659Fwu) rapidly connects and disconnects, please help! (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64473)

DFB 04-11-2016 10:31 PM

USB 3.0 monitor (AOC e1659Fwu) rapidly connects and disconnects, please help!

1 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased an AOC e1659Fwu USB monitor (two actually, because I returned the first for the same problem with the second) and have been unable to connect it to my computer. When I plug the monitor in, “AOC” shows on the second monitor briefly, before disappearing. The screen then remains blank, though it occasionally is a ‘powered’ black, while my laptop repeatedly makes connect and disconnect noises. I have a video of the problem, but this forum won't let me attach it.

I have the most recent driver from DisplayLink’s website, Windows 10 operating system, and am using an HP Spectre x360 with the i7 processor.

I attempted to use a different USB 3.0 cord, have the latest BIOS for my system, and also tried to disable the USB suspend option per the Displaylink troubleshooting website.

For reference I use the older model AOC e1649Fwu on a daily basis without any issues. It plugs in and connects perfectly fine, so I am assuming it is something about the driver’s connectivity with the e1659Fwu.

Please help, I am a law student in the middle of exams and it would be a huge aid to have this monitor functioning soon.

Thank you,

AlbanRampon 04-12-2016 07:24 AM

A technical support ticket was created by the user therefore it will be handled there.

rmbressler 04-12-2016 03:30 PM

Same issue

I have the exact same problem with the 17 inch version of this monitor E1759FWU. Please let me know if you are able to find a solution. I'm on windows 10 as well. If I have the display properties window open I can see the second display appear and then disappear a few seconds later.

AlbanRampon 04-12-2016 03:32 PM

That's a power issue then.
It can't be a driver if there's no device in Device Manager.

Can you try the USB Y-Cable and plug the other USB male in a USB phone/tablet charger to see if the monitor stays up instead of restarting?

I think what you are experiencing is a brownout problem.

rmbressler 04-12-2016 04:31 PM

Same issus

I actually tried that. I plugged the Y cable in with a second usb port on my laptop as well as using a brick and plugging it directly into the wall.

DFB 04-12-2016 06:23 PM

I tried connecting the other USB port to an outlet but it does not work. The monitor still rapidly connects and disconnects.

I have also tried using a regular USB 3.0 cable. I don't really see why my laptop would not give the e1659Fwu enough power when it has more than enough to run the previous model. Also, I am not trying to use both at the same time. This happens when I have only one extra monitor attached.

AlbanRampon 04-12-2016 08:21 PM

Different model, different power consumption.
You could have been marginally working before and now be over.
AOC mentions <8W, at 5V. Can your USB port or power adapter provide 1.6A (=1600mA) reliably?
A powered hub can help, a longer cable will make the issue worse.

Or let me ask you the other way round: what makes you believe that this is a driver problem?
Both monitors, designed and manufactured by AOC, use the same chip from DisplayLink inside. They both use identical driver. If the only thing you changed is the hardware, then isn't it the natural direction to look at?

victorj 09-15-2016 11:52 PM

Same connect and disconnect issue

I just received my AOC e1659Fwu and like DFB I never had an issue with the older one. This once just connects and disconnects constantly. It literally came in the mail today. I did all of the checks and balances with my Windows 10 OS that DFB mentioned and I get the same bullsh$t. From all of the posts I see here having the same issue, AlbanRampon it looks there is an issue with your product and not our systems. Extremely disappointed because I needed this monitor for a project this weekend.

~V

AlbanRampon 09-16-2016 07:34 AM

Victor,
DisplayLink does not design, manufacture or sell that product.
We are a semiconductor company. We do a chip AOC uses in their product.
AOC is the manufacturer of that monitor.

Have you tried what was advised to other users of that monitor?

Regards,
Alban