DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   e1649fu - Problems post-update with 9.1.651.0 (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66976)

Hyoumaru 02-11-2020 12:56 AM

e1649fu - Problems post-update with 9.1.651.0

I've had an AOC e1649fwu USB monitor since 2014. It has survived two computers and has been an invaluable investment since I started using it, helping me keep windows of communication or entertainment up while I work on my primary monitor. Recently though, I've run into a bit of trouble with it.

my primary working computer is a Macbook Pro bootcamped with Windows 7. Recently, Win7 has begun suffering from a bug that prevents the user from shutting it down properly, that's not the issue however. In my concern I checked Windows Update for any possible fixes that might be issued, and there was an update for Displaylink offered, version 9.1.651.0, which I felt I was better off downloading. Afterwards however, I noticed that the usual Displaylink icon, the blue square attached to a silver rod, had been replaced with a white and blue computer monitor (which doesn't go away while the USB monitor is not attached even when I set it to do so). The REAL issue however is that I can no longer view DVDs on the USB monitor, the media players I attempted with fail to load them due to "copy-protect fail". This is a serious concern for me as it disrupts my general workflow. I uninstalled and attempted to reinstall the USB monitor using the driver provided by the installation disk, but it only installs the same 9.1.651.0 driver, which puts me back at square one. I want to stress everything was working great before this, so I can't imagine it's a compatability issue.

Another issue is one I've been having issues with for a while, but have not had as pressing a need to fix. I bought a Windows 10 laptop out of necessity last year, since using my work computer for personal use was getting troublesome. I attempted to install the same USB monitor onto it for ease of use, but the driver provided by the installation disk refuses to work on Win10, saying it's not compatible. Eventually, I managed to reach the point where the monitor DOES work (as well as highlights the fact the win10 laptop has a really bad yellow tint to its screen), but similar to the prior mentioned issue, DVDs will not play on the USB monitor while attached, for the same copy-protect fail error. This is not as pressing a concern as the first issue mentioned, but it's still something I'd wish to rectify if possible.

AlbanRampon 02-12-2020 10:46 AM

Hello,

We would need the logs to comment, like explained in the last link of my forum signature.
Maybe the logs will include which version you used to have, difficult to say.

Windows 10 protected content is not available on that display. The player may choose to work, or not.

If the installation disk is from 2014, then 9.1 is not on that disk, but when you connect a display without a driver, Windows will look in Windows Update.

Regards,
Alban

Hyoumaru 02-13-2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 89352)
Hello,

We would need the logs to comment, like explained in the last link of my forum signature.
Maybe the logs will include which version you used to have, difficult to say.

Windows 10 protected content is not available on that display. The player may choose to work, or not.

If the installation disk is from 2014, then 9.1 is not on that disk, but when you connect a display without a driver, Windows will look in Windows Update.

Regards,
Alban

Good to know the monitor's just not supported on windows 10, guess I'll just have to buy a newer model when I can afford one.

As for the Win7 side of things, I took a friend's advice and uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers with no internet connection active. The driver installed was an older driver rather than the current one and with that in place everything is working fine again. I'm going to prevent future driver updates from being installed on this particular computer in order to avoid that problem for as long as this computer has left.